URGENT - The undumped Donkey Kong 3: Dai Gyakushuu is up for auction!

Started by aitsu124, December 12, 2017, 10:43:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

aitsu124

So, if you know your history well enough, you may know about Donkey Kong 3: Dai Gyakushuu, the semi-sequel to DK3. What you might not know is that unlike other Hudson Mario games, the game is not dumped at all, and thus almost no one outside of Japan (and very few within) has ever played it. Well, an auction is going on for it here: https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w209209055

While it does not include the box nor manual (the latter of which could be useful for finding out the story), if bought the game could finally become playable. But I can't do it alone. The bids are rising fast, and there's no way I'll have enough money to win. So, please, if you care about this game or Mario preservation at all, now is the time to act. Message me and I'll give you my Paypal if you wish to contribute funds to help win this.

Please, assist me in dumping one of the rarest Mario games in existence.
Increasing source of obscure Japanese information...and interface.

famiac

As a sharp x1 fan, i'm interested in contributing. Please pm me with details.

How are you planning on dumping the 3-inch floppy?

aitsu124

PM sent  :)

Post Merge: December 14, 2017, 11:14:24 am

Good news, with the help of very generous donors, I now have around 200 USD (20,000 yen) to spend on this. Many thanks to the donors, it's because of them that this game will finally be freely playable outside of Japan.

MasterDisk

One day left and already at 15k yens, don't go all victorious before it's over.

aitsu124

famiac

Quote from: MasterDisk on December 15, 2017, 04:17:03 am
One day left and already at 15k yens, don't go all victorious before it's over.

Lmao don't be a dick man. We'll try our best

Post Merge: December 16, 2017, 06:43:00 am

We won :)

famiac

Update, I have the disk and a drive. I'm gonna try to figure out how to use the drive properly before sticking the disk in it

famiac

Maybe i'll post it on many different forums. It might take me some time to figure this out, though. I already have many resources/ideas.

aitsu124

Quote from: famiac on January 27, 2018, 11:50:25 pm
Update, I have the disk and a drive. I'm gonna try to figure out how to use the drive properly before sticking the disk in it

Nice! Tokugawa should be able to help with that.

Retrospectives

At least you got it up and running so that's like half the project considering how fragile they are.  :) really hope you manage to make that cable and hook it up to your PC.  :-[

aitsu124

Quote from: togemet2 on February 18, 2018, 02:43:00 am
Any updates? I've seen these a few times online and am very keen on one day being able to play this. I have been searching for it for quite a while!  :)

Just wrote famiac (the dumper). It was on track to be dumped by the end of last week, so if it's not already dumped it should be very soon.

famiac

The game is dumped.

Here's the game. I have now sold the disk

Thank you aitsu124 and Retrospectives for your help.  :)

Cheers

UglyJoe

MaxXimus

I enjoyed reading this. Thanks for preserving this. You should post to assembler games as well if you haven't. I'm sure they would appreciate this as well.

famiac

Thanks a lot for reading  :)

I posted in a couple of other places as well, as suggested.