Need help repairing unidentified famiclone

Started by maroonbrownie, December 29, 2017, 10:52:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

maroonbrownie

My famiclone was working up until a few years ago. i used to enjoy playing super mario on it with my parents. i pulled it out of storage recently. Marking I put on it says 7.5V. So I got an adjustable power adapter so I can run it. My old (new to me) CRT TVs no longer seem to support it.

I pulled it apart to see if there was anything wrong. Some wires seemed to have come lose so i soldered them back (i didnt do a great job :| ). Anyway it still doesnt seem to work so I wanted to know if anyone has any advice or a similar one so I can compare pics and see if the connections are right.

Any advice on what might need to be done to connect it to a tv? The famiclone has an ac port and the red yellow white composite ports.

Any advice is appreciated!

https://imgur.com/a/P7tjv

jpx72

That's a NOAC famiclone and these can die just beause of old age. There is not much you can do, get a new one, this type usually cost around 10 euro :)
It's amazing how used it is though, that's a generation of players in it!

Nesmaniac

Be sure to check the voltage regular first using a multimeter. Every famiclone I've seen uses the 7805 & they are known to go bad one wrong power adapter or surge takes it out. To test it set your mutlimeter to DC 20 volts and the 7805 will have 3 legs. Middle leg is ground so put tip of your black multimeter pin on it and then red pin to test each other leg voltage. input voltage on a 7805 has to be a certain range to work and usually will be between 11-13 volts when using a 9Volt sega genesis adapter. The other side that is the side that feeds the console should be close to 5 volts give or take a little. If your clone runs off 7.5 volts (don't sound right every clone I've seen same rating at 10 volts DC and 850 ma. The milliamps at 850 or higher is a must and if your power adapter is below that it won't work & I don't think 7.5 volts will operate a 7805 that would be very close though. Just take your time, research & you'll be able to fix it. I've never seen one with that cool color scheme. If I had that baby I'd restore it & make it look close to new again. Especially you being attached to it having played Mario on it as a kid. First thing find the voltage power regulator and confirm if it is indeed a 7805. It will be marked on the side and close to where the voltage plugs into it usually screwed to a RF shield or heatsink. Be extremely careful never having both hands touching anything inside at same time (old 1 hand in at a time) & if you don't feel comfortable with it let someone else repair it I'm sure it would be a simple fix whatever the issue. I'm no electronics whiz but have repaired minor things like this a lot of it is common sense after reading forums on others with same or  similar issues. Good luck let us know how it goes and if you need any more help.