Best place to buy MSX / MSX2 in Japan?

Started by JessicaWolf, January 11, 2018, 06:28:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JessicaWolf

I am going to be in Japan (and South Korea) again in about two months, for about three weeks! As such, I am looking to add a new system to my collection; an MSX or MSX 2.

I will mostly be in Tokyo but may be traveling to the west coast of Japan as well (Niigata and Nagano).

Does anyone have any tips or places to look for such a vintage computer system and possibly games?

Thanks!
Here are a few games I am looking for right now
Super Puzzle Fighter II X (Sega Saturn)
GeGeGe no Kotarou (Sega Saturn)
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (Sega Saturn)
KiKi KaiKai (PC Engine) (CIB)
Puzzle Bobble (Super Famicom) (CIB)

Retrospectives

Yeah usually Super Potato is carrying a bunch of them. Expect to see some overpriced Panasonic/Sony models for at least 15man yen (If we are talking about anything over MSX(1)...Your best bet would be to buy a system from YAJ and it is possible to get a decent MSX2 model without a floppy drive if you are lucky at around man yen.

I have around 6 different MSX systems and while many of the smaller models from CASIO might look cute and tempting it's really their hardware is limited...You will also want to check memory and other specs but depending on your budget I can recommend the panasonic fs-a1 since it was really popular here back in the days aiming mainly for gaming. Also the fs-a1f is basically the same model but with a floppy which opens up a LOT of more games to play.

Also the Sony HB-F1 II is a good starter system since it has built in turbo and should come with a small joystick attachment to the directional buttons. But it doesn't have floppy. Sony HIT BIT HB-F1XD has floppy but is way bigger and bulkier. That is something to also have in mind. These systems weight a lot since they crammed everything including the power supply into the system.

Anyway, good luck. Sometimes Hard Off carry these but unfortunately the last years they have been keeping up with the retro trend and are therefore also overpriced very often. But in Tokyo you should at least be able to physically find a system which isn't the case in many other cities. You see FC/SFC/MD and sometimes NeoGeo but computers like MSX, X1, PC89 etc etc, almost invisible in comparsion.

JessicaWolf

I try and stay well away from places like Super Potato, because they are so bad when it comes to prices and taking advantage of tourists who don't know better. I will be staying at a house (Airbnb) so it looks like YAJ might be my best option.

I will have to do some more research but I think I want an MSX2 with FDD just so I don't have to mess with adding my own or "upgrading" later.

Any other models you can recommend that fit that description? I want to keep an eye out on YAJ and see what comes up  :)

Retrospectives

Above models mentioned with FDD is the one that is the cheapest ones. Normally you will have to buy a rubber band that has correct size just as in FDS as they tend to break during ages.

Here is link to a normally priced MSX 2:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m222093387

This is perfect starter machine and has FDD and two slot for cartridge. Please also buy joypad since pinout is different from Atari/Megadrive etc even if can connect it will not work. Japanese computer pinout for joypad is different. I recommend this:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m162237181

Why? Because it is compatible with NES/Famicom buttons and D-Pad so if stiff D-pad or non-response then just swap and replace for new ones.

Sometimes if want play Konami games using SCC (Special sound chip) then you can boot with floppy and use a special SCC cartridge, but they are cheaper to buy in Europe. I do not have a URL sorry but please try search Ebay or such for such.

If having Airbnb is perfect. Then can certainly ship to that home. I am from Osaka so I cannot help you sorry but I wish you all the best luck. By the way, vast majority games using up to MSX2 so don't bother going higher, at least not higher than MSX2+...If really getting serious then try Panasonic later models but that is just overkill  for average gamer while MSX1 is on low end I would say  ;)

JessicaWolf

This actually helps a lot! Thank you ;D

Quote from: Retrospectives on January 12, 2018, 01:43:30 pm
Above models mentioned with FDD is the one that is the cheapest ones. Normally you will have to buy a rubber band that has correct size just as in FDS as they tend to break during ages.

Here is link to a normally priced MSX 2:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m222093387

This is perfect starter machine and has FDD and two slot for cartridge. Please also buy joypad since pinout is different from Atari/Megadrive etc even if can connect it will not work. Japanese computer pinout for joypad is different. I recommend this:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m162237181

Why? Because it is compatible with NES/Famicom buttons and D-Pad so if stiff D-pad or non-response then just swap and replace for new ones.

Sometimes if want play Konami games using SCC (Special sound chip) then you can boot with floppy and use a special SCC cartridge, but they are cheaper to buy in Europe. I do not have a URL sorry but please try search Ebay or such for such.

If having Airbnb is perfect. Then can certainly ship to that home. I am from Osaka so I cannot help you sorry but I wish you all the best luck. By the way, vast majority games using up to MSX2 so don't bother going higher, at least not higher than MSX2+...If really getting serious then try Panasonic later models but that is just overkill  for average gamer while MSX1 is on low end I would say  ;)