professional FDS repair?

Started by unoclay, November 30, 2017, 05:40:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

unoclay

Hi there,
I've tried for many(!) hours to fix my FDS using the instructions found in the various help files, FAQs, pinned threads, etc.  I've gotten it working "some" of the time---but not reliably.  And havent had a successful power-on in weeks. 

Bought it in Japan, so its a bit sentimental (plus was sort of a birthday gift from the wife, along with boxed Metroid and Icarus).

Appears to have a new belt, but it just isnt working reliably.  I've tried calibrating for endless hours.  Isnt working. Errors 21, 22, 28. 

I emailed Xious (sticky thread, offers repairs) but he appears to be absent from the site (inactive) and I wondered, are there other people on here who repair FDS?

(Xious thread:  http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=5828.0)

Recommendations welcome. I'd love to get this working, and am happy to pay someone who has experience and can go beyond my efforts. 

P

I'm sorry to hear about your problems.

Xious left the forum years ago. He is rumoured to be a scammer but it doesn't seem like he actually scammed anyone on this forum. Just don't expect you can get any services from him.

HokusaiXL

All depends on where you live.  I've personally re-calibrated 3 drives to the exact same spec and they play everything I own without issue.  Could always ship it to where I work as classic console repair is my thing there, but it's all up to you.
I don't know how to fox. D:

zmaster18

I've done 150+ FDS repairs and can confidently help you out! I can either repair your drive or simply sell you a working replacement drive for CAD$45 +12.50 shipping.

Which country are you located?

unoclay

Quote from: zmaster18 on December 02, 2017, 07:49:12 am
I've done 150+ FDS repairs and can confidently help you out! I can either repair your drive or simply sell you a working replacement drive for CAD$45 +12.50 shipping.

Which country are you located?

Quote from: HokusaiXL on December 02, 2017, 07:21:28 am
All depends on where you live.  I've personally re-calibrated 3 drives to the exact same spec and they play everything I own without issue.  Could always ship it to where I work as classic console repair is my thing there, but it's all up to you.

Hi Hokusai, Zmaster!
Thanks for both of your replies. I'm located in USA, Philadelphia to be specific.
Since the drive is somewhat sentimental to me (purhcased in Tokyo Japan, and was a birthday gift from the wife) I'd prefer to get it repaired and working if possible. 
I'd appreciate info from either of you on what it would cost to repair (including shipping estimate etc) and how i'd go about getting it to you.  PM if you wish, or reply here--I really appreciate the help!

zmaster18

Shipping your drive here to Canada would be US$15.50 with First Class International Package. I can ship it back to Philly for CAD$10 actually.

HokusaiXL

zmaster18 might be the cheaper option in terms of repair price, as my store would charge 30 bucks labor, but you'd only be shipping to Michigan.  That and he clearly has more experience.

unoclay

Quote from: zmaster18 on December 02, 2017, 07:50:23 pm
Shipping your drive here to Canada would be US$15.50 with First Class International Package. I can ship it back to Philly for CAD$10 actually.

Awesome input both of you.  Sent zmaster a private message, and will continue discussion there.....thanks!

Rupert

Quote from: HokusaiXL on December 03, 2017, 06:41:59 am
my store would charge 30 bucks labor, but you'd only be shipping to Michigan. 

Where in Michigan?

I have a couple of FDS and a couple of Twins, and have had ZERO success fixing the drives on my own.

If ya'll are within driving distance of metro Detroit, I may be VERY interested in giving ya $30, $60 or more to get one or more of 'em working.

Any bulk discounts to do 3 or 4 of 'em?

HokusaiXL

January 06, 2018, 08:37:13 pm #9 Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 07:52:40 pm by HokusaiXL
Literally in Eastpointe.  You'll be looking for Metro Computer Games and iRepair.  Ask for Brad.

Okay so, your disk drive is now working perfectly with all of my games.  List of things that had to be done.

Fixed issue with belt climbing over edge of large pulley, resistance causing drive motor to run slowly.
Fix OD spacing in head adjustment screw to 10.7mm
Adjusted spindle to set screw pointed at head when in full rear reset.

I had to take the disk drive home as I ended up sick sunday, but it will be ready for pickup soon as I come in Wednesday.  Sorry it took so long, had quite the work load all week.