Audio Crackles using RF?

Started by ThatOneSystem, January 14, 2018, 07:35:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ThatOneSystem

January 14, 2018, 07:35:32 pm Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 07:40:35 pm by ThatOneSystem
I recently purchased a round button Famicom and only have one game so far, Rockman 4, and have noticed something a bit odd: whether or not i'm on channel 95 or 96, I get these audio crackles or buzzes whenever i'm on certain parts of the game. I can hear it the most on Diveman's stage, Dustman's stage, Ringman's stage, Cossack's Citadel map, Wily Stage 3 and 4, and the Stage Select. It even happens sometimes on 96 when booting up the game on the Capcom logo. The picture quality of 95 is rather fuzzy, but these sounds are quieter, and the picture quality of 96 is near-perfect, but the noises are somewhat louder/more frequent. Even when I turn off the system on channel 96, it makes the buzz for a split second before being completely drowned out by static. Is this a normal thing when using RF? Or is there a problem with my console/RF Switch?  :help:

FAMICOM_87

do not worry it is normal, to make the sound clearer you have to turn those things very slowly all of them, when famicom is on and find the right spot.

look at  this topic the guy having the same problem like you

https://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=13912.0

ThatOneSystem

I'm assuming you mean adjust the system whilst its on? I have mine like right next to my TV, is it fine there, should it be a good distance away, or does it not matter?

FAMICOM_87

it does not matter, just use a quality RF shielded cable  ;)

ThatOneSystem

Alright, thank you. Any suggestions on where I should get one/what type I should get?

ThatOneSystem

Alright, i'll look in to getting a gold-plated RCA male to female coax adaptor and some shielded coax cable. Hopefully it'll work much better than the NES RF Switch i'm currently using.

FAMICOM_87

to be cheap it is not especially necessary to use golden plated jacks :) the shielding is the  impotent part .
I am using the original RF cable from N64 an it works very well, I think all original RF cables will do the trick (from NES SNES N64, or even Atari junior) if they are in good shape of coerce  :)

ThatOneSystem

January 16, 2018, 08:22:16 pm #8 Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 06:17:23 pm by ThatOneSystem
Okay, just one more question: i've heard from multiple sources that audio buzzes and crackles also happen as a result of not using the original AC Adaptor. Is that true? I've been using a universal AC adaptor for Disk System/Famicom/NES.

Frank_fjs

I've experienced audio and video interference when using cheap Aliexpress power supplies. Not surprising as they're not fully grounded.

FAMICOM_87

I recommend you to use quality impulse power supply  9/10/12V and 850mA or more
or use old school transformer DC adapter with the same parameters :)
(to not heat 7805 regulator much i recommended to use 9V)

ThatOneSystem

Alright, I was just curious because I was given this power supply when I bought the system and have been using it since.

FAMICOM_87

it looks custom made :)
I assume this is an impulse power supply because of 100V-240V input.
Transformers can be only ~120V or ~240V.

But first try the right coaxial, RF if you are not satisfied with the picture, and sound quality
then consider to try a good old transformer,  but make sure it is with rectifier  AC-DC.

:star: