Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2018, 01:22:59 AM
Home Famicom World Search Calendar Login Register

+  Famicom World
|-+  Family Computer
| |-+  Famicom / Disk System (Moderators: manuel, L___E___T)
| | |-+  What is the "BEST" famiclone?
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: What is the "BEST" famiclone?  (Read 2945 times)
Mi5terDNA
Famicom
United States United States

wolf fang fist!

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 12:19:50 AM »

Have you guys seen this one yet?
Coolbaby RS-40
 http://s.aliexpress.com/B7NJNjiI?fromSns=
...you can easily replace the ppu and cpu for original famicom ones....

It looks like these are PAL only units, I wonder how hard it would be to mod to 60Hz?

Not so hard, you have to swap PAL  CPU and PPU and  26MHz Crystal with NTSC ones and  21MHz Crystal  Starman

That's what I was thinking, I might look into it.  Thanks!
satoshi_matrix
FamicomBox

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2018, 12:57:09 AM »

That RS-40 clone looks really interesting...what is the 3.5mm jack for?

And it looks like it uses clones of the CPU and PPU instead of gloptops. That is very interesting.

I guess in theory, you could put in real a CPU and PPU, but where would you find a real CPU/PPU??
P
FamicomBox
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2018, 09:58:16 AM »

As they are custom-made, a donor Famicom or NES would be the only way. Also those arcade machines that use the Famicom CPU (under a different name) as a sound chip, if they are compatible. Although that would be a big waste.

jpx72
Sharp C1
Slovakia Slovakia

jpx72web.blogspot.sk

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2018, 07:24:59 AM »

These can sometimes be found on Aliexpress or eBay, although those are questionable
 http://s.aliexpress.com/IfIz6biA
And also some arcade machines repair shop sells ppu as a replacement for playchoice cabinets
https://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=RP2A03
But I recommend buying "non-working" famicoms and/or plastic damaged pieces and scavenge the chips from there. You have a pretty big chance the non working piece has only damaged power part of the board.
satoshi_matrix
FamicomBox

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018, 01:13:59 AM »

I wonder what the clone chips are like on this thing though.

I do have a discrete clone from the late 80s that uses 1:1 parts to make up their own Famicom, and noticed the PPU produces a different pallet.

I wonder if that would still be true of modern NES PPU clone chips?

But what about the CPU? Would a clone CPU really be any different from a stock one in terms of functionality?
P
FamicomBox
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 03:50:36 AM »

I do have a discrete clone from the late 80s that uses 1:1 parts to make up their own Famicom, and noticed the PPU produces a different pallet.
But if it produces a different pallet it can't be a perfect 1:1 clone.

what about the CPU? Would a clone CPU really be any different from a stock one in terms of functionality?
Yes, I don't think there are any 1:1 clones of the CPU, or is there? They always have some differences which may break certain games.
The CPU has been decapped (revision G so it should have all the latest features including looped noise) though so it should be possible to make a 1:1 clone out of it.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: