Best Capacitor between Pins 20 and 22 on revision 3 board?

Started by Nesmaniac, February 21, 2018, 07:09:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Nesmaniac

I recently AV modded mid 1983 revision 3 board & used Da Bears guide running the composite video out the old RF port. He recommended using a 47uf Cap which I did (47 uf 16v) I was reading on a forum that a 220uf 10v all but eliminated the jailbars so I tried one but if anything it made it worse especially noticable on light blue sky areas in Mario 3, Kid Dracula, etc...I'm fixing to remove it and possibly try a 100 uf 25v or 10v but would like to hear from some others & what worked best for them especially on a early famicom board. I read a 1 uf Ceramic Cap is all that is needed but not sure how to read a ceramic cap or which way is negative or positive I figure it must be determined by the side the writing is on while facing you but not sure. I have several caps that read 104 Z or like the 331 with a B over the number like on NES boards at controller internal board connector (same cap used on bottom of revision 3 board I discovered) so a quick ceramic cap lesson would be appreciated in regards to fixing jailbars on famicom. Thanks in advance for any info that can be provided.

VegaVegas

You mean the filtering cap between 5V and GND near CPU or PPU?? Something like 105 (1uF) underneath each CPU and PPU is more than enough to filter stuff, I wouldn't go any higher because the console may have issues charging those caps actually. As far as I know there is not much you can do to completely filter the jailbars unfortunately, analog devices always have imperfections and there will always be any sort of distortions in video or audio. I also had an old Famicom HVC-001 unit with plain RP2A03 and it looked noticeably worse even after filtering fixes in comparison to newer versions, the old CPU is just made the way it is. As far as I know the only thing you can do here is just live with it

(ceramic caps don't have any polarity, you can install them on either side, the electrolytic caps have polarity and you should keep in mind that the side that has a stripe is negative)

Frank_fjs

As written above, ceramic caps are generally bipolar meaning they can be installed in either direction.

I've tried just about every value you can think of, nothing works perfectly. All it does is alter the thickness/position of the jailbars. The only success I've had in removing jailbars completely with minimal effort is by using inductors. This works but comes at the cost of blurring the entire image.

Nesmaniac

Thanks for responses. Today I tried a few different caps even ceramic & as you all said nothing really changes the jailbars at all. I ended up going back to the 47 uf 16v like Da Bears AV tutorial recommended. I think it was a little better than the others I tried but if so not by much. I play on a 32" LCD so I can't expect perfection out of a famicom. I'm not too bothered by them actually so I'll live with them. I grew up playing my original NES from 88 on a little 13" television so I'm not too spoiled when it comes to playing classic games.