Famicom Tips: Using original decals after dupli-color vinyl paint.

Started by Nesmaniac, March 01, 2018, 09:19:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Nesmaniac

I thought this might be helpful to some out there who might want to restore their old yellow famicom without spending too much money or time. This vinyl spray is really nice because it goes on more like a mist & just spreads really well without globs or runs as long as you are patient with light coats. I've spray painted 30 or so custom consoles in past few years & wish I had used this stuff sooner. The areas around the vents & power / reset lettering the vinyl spray just distributes so nice it's really hard to tell it's been painted. I suggest trying to reuse the original power and reset stickers. Just simply use an exacto knife to carefully peel up a corner until you can get tweezers on it then work up til you can get fingers on it. Slowly peel it up. When I done so I never planned on reusing them so applying heat will probably help. Once peeled up I used goo gone to clean all old residue off & then rubbing alcohol to finish cleaning before applying the double sided tape. Just lay sticker down on a sheet of paper & put a small piece in center of top of decal to stick it down to paper (keeps it from trying to curl up) I recommend getting 1 inch wide double sided tape because that's how wide the power and reset decals are & I used 1/2 wide tape which required 2 strips & each has a line in center of decal but still not too bad looking. For a 30 year old decal I'm happy with results. For the front family computer plate just use blue painters tape to mask it off. I suggest using the edge of the tape at the top plate & using the exacto knife to cut along the bottom. As for the back console switch and connections identifications it's all one long thin piece which is fairly thick and can easily be peeled off & reapplied. Again you might want to heat it up a bit but I didn't & reused it with no issues. This is a pretty nice way to get a yellow console with decent decals and faceplate looking good again. I have an older famicom (revision 3 from 83) which the faceplate is peeling and the decals beyond reuse & controller plates a bit worn so I ordered a decal kit from retroraiderjapan for it which I will show once I get them & get them on.

FAMICOM_87

WOW  :o just fantastic it is like brand new!
I can not be scratched right ? :)

Nesmaniac

Quote from: FAMICOM_87 on March 01, 2018, 02:54:40 pm
WOW  :o just fantastic it is like brand new!
I can not be scratched right ? :)

Thanks  ;D I hope it's durable. I'm thinking anything that will stick to vinyl seats and leather recliners has to be pretty tough but time will tell.

Frank_fjs