Odd/Bizzare things in games.

Started by Retrospectives, March 04, 2018, 06:41:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Retrospectives

I always has been fond of Odd/Bizzare things in games. Sure, when a game itself is odd/bizzare just by it's nature, that's also interesting (Utsurun Desu, Takeshi no chousenjou, Monster Party etc etc), but what seems to be a normal game suddenly turns out to have some odd or bizzare thing going on. What is your encounter?

The first encounter I can think about is the Falcon head fromSMB USA/SMB 2(USA). Surely it is strange that you have to walk into the mouth of a falcon just to reach another level. But things take a really bizarre turn in the end of the game where you have to fight the falcon itself. I mean, literally it starting to fly around, chasing you and trying to kill you?! That's just...Odd. Who even came up with the idea?! No idea, but I like it.  8) Actually, he is one of my idols in life. I look up to him.  8)

You other people here on FW got similar experiences?  ;D

P

Yeah the falcon head (or maybe it's one of the masks?) always seemed strange to me, in a good way. And when it came to life and started chasing me I was freaked out as a kid, but at the same time I thought it was super cool. Then you defeat it and it returns to be a portal again, although in the spot it was defeated at which usually is in mid-air. Genius!

Another thing that freaked me out was the big Bubbles in the final temple of Zelda 2. Me and my brother was seriously afraid of those.
The Eyegore in Zelda 3 was also seriously frightening when they came to life opening their one big eye. I always fought them from a distance with the bow because I was deathly afraid of getting too close.

The fact that you can walk on clouds in many platform games is bizarre and neat. Actually as I kid I thought it was possible IRL too but my dad told me you would fall straight through. How disappointing!

Floating islands and well floating platforms in general is also a cool phenomena. Some Kirby games have cubes of floating water that you can swim in! You can jump into the water from below! I thought this was so cool. I think SMB3 has upsidedown lava or something as well? I forgot, but it was a really cool idea that I liked.

Parodius is a bizarre and funny series in a genius way, at the same time it's great shooting games. I think I played more Parodius than Gradius.

Retrospectives

March 04, 2018, 10:05:57 pm #2 Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:19:32 pm by Retrospectives
Indeed indeed!  :D In regards of Zelda series I think that mainly it has been the music itself that made me feeling the most emotions as a kid. You start out as the heroic guy just with a sword, slaying enemies, ok, nothing strange there. But then the music in the dungeons comes on...I mean, for a child, that's really scary music. I remember  telling friends like "Imagine total dark room and suddenly that music turns on" haha, that would be really scary, even to this day.  ;)

Also how the design of dungeons was really fascinating. Even as Adult I feel it's amazed that they pulled of all different quirks in the first Zelda game. But the dungeon entrances especially brings back memories because those are really...odd. Not in a bizarre way but the design of them...Walking into a mouth...Maybe it's the same phenomena as in SMB USA? Hahaha, who knows.

Like this: A bit odd but like this:

Yes, Parodius is a great game as well to mention. But I would say the MSX version is even more bizarre from a Japanese standpoint. Is really contain more of the Japanese "Gyagu" style of humour and ties together a lot of cultural things that only people grew up in Japan would understand. Of course I know that you (P) has great knowledge of Japanese so I think also you can enjoy that version too, as well other not-natives that speak the language. But overall is a good game for everyone except the scrolling, but that's just MSX technical limitations and not the games fault.

Me too, I played Parodius over Gradius many time. Actually I like Gradius II for the MSX (exclusive title), and that also have some bizarre things going on. Like a maze level thing where you have to clear certain things or else you warp back to the beginning of a level, which makes a unique (although frustrating) feeling if not have a FAQ or even a manual.

But yes, Parodius. The most member I got from more recent port like SFC would be that instead of entering the classic Konami Code on the controller, you do it but you needing hold the controller upside-down AHAHAHA. Geniously odd and funny.  ;D