List of Game Genie codes

Started by JC, September 19, 2007, 09:20:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

satoshi_matrix

Hm. So then in your estimation, do you think what I am seeking is possible? If it isn't then I might as well know so I can give up on it.

UglyJoe

Quote from: satoshi_matrix on September 25, 2016, 05:06:04 pm
Hm. So then in your estimation, do you think what I am seeking is possible? If it isn't then I might as well know so I can give up on it.

I'm not experienced enough with the GameBoy to say one way or the other.  I would guess that somebody more familiar with it than me could figure it out if they put in the effort.  I do think it would involve figuring out how the sound engine works, though, which is no simple task.

satoshi_matrix

October 05, 2016, 03:12:56 am #182 Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 04:04:37 am by satoshi_matrix
Don't worry UglyJoe, it's okay. I'd rather focus on NES/Famicom games anyway. To that end, I would please like to ask for some BGM cuts (sound effects remaining) in a few other NES/Famicom games:

Megaman/Rockman 1
Gradius 1
Super Mario Bros.
Salamander
Castlevania 1 NES
DuckTales 1
Dr. Mario

fcgamer

Here is something I have wondered for a long time, since back in 1999 or so.

Regarding Castlevania III:  Is it possible to use a Game Genie code(s) or create a password of sorts, where Trevor Belmont is replaced by one of the spirit helpers?  For example, having Sypha and Grant (and no Trevor), or Alucard and Sypha, etc.  I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be possible to replace Trevor with one of the other helpers, having two special characters without the Belmont, but thus far I have never seen any code about it, and I just play games, don't create them, so maybe I am expecting the impossible?
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

UglyJoe

October 05, 2016, 12:04:37 pm #184 Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 08:40:35 pm by UglyJoe
I've never looked at the game's code, but my guess is that Trevor is sort of hard-coded in such a way that you can't remove him from the party.  I'll take a look later if I get a chance.

Edit: Looked into it a bit.  I don't see a way of doing it by only changing three bytes (the standard limit for number of Game Genie codes).  I'm pretty sure I could do it with a plain ASM hack, though.

fcgamer

Quote from: UglyJoe on October 05, 2016, 12:04:37 pm
I've never looked at the game's code, but my guess is that Trevor is sort of hard-coded in such a way that you can't remove him from the party.  I'll take a look later if I get a chance.

Edit: Looked into it a bit.  I don't see a way of doing it by only changing three bytes (the standard limit for number of Game Genie codes).  I'm pretty sure I could do it with a plain ASM hack, though.

If you combined multiple Game Genies, do you think it would be possible? 

UglyJoe

Quote from: fcgamer on October 06, 2016, 01:51:34 am

Does that even work?

I found a new approach to take last night after I posted, so I may be able to get it in three bytes or less after all.

fcgamer

Quote from: UglyJoe on October 06, 2016, 07:10:06 am
Quote from: fcgamer on October 06, 2016, 01:51:34 am

Does that even work?

I found a new approach to take last night after I posted, so I may be able to get it in three bytes or less after all.

I know you can use multiple Game Genies to make more than 3 changes / to combine codes.

If you can figure out some Game Genie method to get this to work, I'll send you a nice goodie package as a reward ;)  It's always been my dream, something like this.

P

Flashcarts usually gives 5 Game Genie codes or something. But it might still not be possible to do by just changing 5 bytes.

UglyJoe

October 06, 2016, 07:58:13 pm #189 Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 08:59:45 pm by UglyJoe
Quote from: fcgamer on October 05, 2016, 11:02:37 am
Regarding Castlevania III:  Is it possible to use a Game Genie code(s) or create a password of sorts, where Trevor Belmont is replaced by one of the spirit helpers?

Okay, I managed to get this to work using a combination of cheat codes (special user names at the name entry screen) and game genie.  I would consider these "beta" codes, since CV3 is a complicated game and I didn't test things out too much.  These are for the US version of Castlevania III.  I'll test them / convert them for Akumajou Densetsu in a bit. Akumajou Densetsu does not seem to have name cheats like the US version, so I'm not sure I could do it.

PartyNameGame Genie
Grant + SyphaFUJIMOTOSEXPTAEI + PUXPYATE
Grant + AlucardFUJIMOTOSEXPTAEI + PUXPYATE + LEXOPAPA
Sypha + AlucardURATASEXOZAEI + PUXOLAZE

You'll still start out as Trevor, but once you switch characters he should be gone for good.

satoshi_matrix

Now that's pretty cool! I'd never thought to try CV3 without the Belmont, but now I'm going to have to give this a playthrough. Thanks!

When you get a chance, could you please see about BGM muting in the NES games I mentioned above? Thanks.

Megaman/Rockman 1
Gradius 1
Super Mario Bros.
Salamander (or LifeForce if you can't do Salamander)
Castlevania 1 NES
DuckTales 1
Dr. Mario

UglyJoe

October 07, 2016, 06:25:47 am #191 Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 09:47:48 am by UglyJoe
Yeah, I saw your list.

Megaman/Rockman 1 - No music - ATKOIAEL

Gradius apparently uses its SFX engine to play back certain overture type tunes.  Like when the game starts, you hear music but no sound effects, but eventually the song loses a little depth and then you hear your sound effects.  With the BGM disabled, you still hear those overture things.

Gradius (J) - No music - USSVOGTV
Gradius (U) - No music - SXXVUKAU

satoshi_matrix

Great. No rush on all of them, just one at a time at your pace. Thanks! :)

satoshi_matrix

These are great. I was hoping that Gradius 1 wouldn't have that problem but I speculated that would indeed be the case which is why sound effects don't play as soon as you start the game.

The Megaman 1 codes are very useful. Now I can do that Touhou project I had been planning. Many thanks.

Could you please look into Castlevania 1 (NES) next? Thanks.

satoshi_matrix

Bump...UglyJoe, could you please see about Castlevania 1 without bgm next? I wanna do a halloween special. Thanks!