Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 13, 2018, 09:58:32 AM
Home Famicom World Search Calendar Login Register

+  Famicom World
|-+  Family Computer
| |-+  Technical & Repair Assistance (Moderators: manuel, L___E___T)
| | |-+  RF and LCD TVs
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: RF and LCD TVs  (Read 1308 times)
gamer888
Famicom

« on: March 12, 2018, 05:18:13 PM »

I might get a Famicom (the first one, with the controller attached) and a Sega Mark III

Both use RF but I know so little about it. Do japanese systems work on a LCD TV (purchased I believe in 2009).

Not sure whether it is relevant but I live in Europe and my TV was bought in Europe. I can play japanese and US systems fine on it using scart RGBm component, RCA...but RF?Huh
famiac
Twin Famicom
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 06:24:23 PM »

Might as well mod your famicom. The frequency band used in Japan may differ from your country’s and newer tvs tend not to have analog tuners built-in

member #844 and 565
FAMICOM_87
AV Famicom
Bulgaria Bulgaria

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 08:18:45 PM »

no problem modern TVs are multi-standard  Red FC Cart Cool

gamer888
Famicom

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 08:56:45 PM »

I heard so many different answers..some say japanese RF is by no means compatible with LCD screens..others say it is urrgghh....any personnal experience???
FAMICOM_87
AV Famicom
Bulgaria Bulgaria

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 09:09:45 PM »

all new TVs are compatible with everything Smiley
even older CRT are from middle 90's and early 2000's
gamer888
Famicom

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 09:10:33 PM »

hehe thanks!
FAMICOM_87
AV Famicom
Bulgaria Bulgaria

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 09:22:19 PM »

hehe thanks!

No problem Smiley analog tuners are still present in the modern TV sets Smiley
Nesmaniac
Famicom

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 03:49:05 PM »

RF is fine & I got it working properly on 3 different televisions 2 lcd's & a CRT with VCR used as a pasthru to get channel 95-96. The thing I've learned is to use a good shielded Subwoofer  Audio cable which I use a short 3' one this makes or breaks the image quality. I've tried short regular run of the mill composite cables in interference makes it unplayable. I've not tried a longer subwoofer grounded cable yet since I don't have one but if you don't switch out controller with NES length the only option of playing the famicom on a large screen is to be able to move it close to where you sit. This is where it would be good to know if a longer good shielded cable would work. Below is a chart of famicom serial numbers and what channels the versions work on on best. I've also found that early units won't play newer multicarts like the 150 in 1 from aliexpress but only the very early systems as asterisk in chart shows ones that I have that won't work them. I AV modded a early famicom but to be honest RF is plenty good. Here's some pics. Hope this helps others who are thinking about getting into famicom gaming because I've spent a lot time and money figuring this stuff out.

gamer888
Famicom

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 04:22:17 PM »

wooow thanks for all of that!

Any experience with other system such as mark III or PC Engine??
Nesmaniac
Famicom

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 11:15:47 PM »

wooow thanks for all of that!

Any experience with other system such as mark III or PC Engine??

I've never owned those. I do have turbografix 16 & it's easy to run AV pins to the back & simply plug them into the little pin for composite video but I done that back before realizing the RF-F adapters existed. Those little adapters and good quality cables will make RF really shine I've come to realize on pretty much any RF game system I've tried.
gamer888
Famicom

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 12:56:47 PM »

I have made a quick google search for RF-F adapters but I had a bunch of different devices.

Could you send a link to see how they look like exactly???
Nesmaniac
Famicom

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 02:08:05 PM »

https://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-Female-F-Type-Coax-Adapter/dp/B000V1O1LM/ref=pd_sbs_63_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000V1O1LM&pd_rd_r=ZX6Y3438E9X3KMJAJEA0&pd_rd_w=FtvTh&pd_rd_wg=O1fwn&psc=1&refRID=ZX6Y3438E9X3KMJAJEA0

Here's amazon link to them. I recommend buying a lot of 6 or 10 of them because you can get them for like $6-10 that way and they come in handy with all old game systems. Also, buy a good thick shielded grounded Audio cable (like a subwoofer cable) while you are at it and if you can get buy with 3 feet do it shorter the better. I've not tried 6' ones yet but for my famicom player I use NES controller length wire I switched out & 3' cable. Picture on LCD is great like that.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: