RF and LCD TVs

Started by gamer888, March 12, 2018, 11:18:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gamer888

I might get a Famicom (the first one, with the controller attached) and a Sega Mark III

Both use RF but I know so little about it. Do japanese systems work on a LCD TV (purchased I believe in 2009).

Not sure whether it is relevant but I live in Europe and my TV was bought in Europe. I can play japanese and US systems fine on it using scart RGBm component, RCA...but RF????

famiac

Might as well mod your famicom. The frequency band used in Japan may differ from your country's and newer tvs tend not to have analog tuners built-in

FAMICOM_87

no problem modern TVs are multi-standard  :redcart: 8)

gamer888

I heard so many different answers..some say japanese RF is by no means compatible with LCD screens..others say it is urrgghh....any personnal experience???

FAMICOM_87

all new TVs are compatible with everything :)
even older CRT are from middle 90's and early 2000's

gamer888

FAMICOM_87

Quote from: gamer888 on March 12, 2018, 03:10:33 pm
hehe thanks!

No problem :) analog tuners are still present in the modern TV sets :)

Nesmaniac

RF is fine & I got it working properly on 3 different televisions 2 lcd's & a CRT with VCR used as a pasthru to get channel 95-96. The thing I've learned is to use a good shielded Subwoofer  Audio cable which I use a short 3' one this makes or breaks the image quality. I've tried short regular run of the mill composite cables in interference makes it unplayable. I've not tried a longer subwoofer grounded cable yet since I don't have one but if you don't switch out controller with NES length the only option of playing the famicom on a large screen is to be able to move it close to where you sit. This is where it would be good to know if a longer good shielded cable would work. Below is a chart of famicom serial numbers and what channels the versions work on on best. I've also found that early units won't play newer multicarts like the 150 in 1 from aliexpress but only the very early systems as asterisk in chart shows ones that I have that won't work them. I AV modded a early famicom but to be honest RF is plenty good. Here's some pics. Hope this helps others who are thinking about getting into famicom gaming because I've spent a lot time and money figuring this stuff out.

gamer888

wooow thanks for all of that!

Any experience with other system such as mark III or PC Engine??

Nesmaniac

Quote from: gamer888 on March 16, 2018, 10:22:17 am
wooow thanks for all of that!

Any experience with other system such as mark III or PC Engine??

I've never owned those. I do have turbografix 16 & it's easy to run AV pins to the back & simply plug them into the little pin for composite video but I done that back before realizing the RF-F adapters existed. Those little adapters and good quality cables will make RF really shine I've come to realize on pretty much any RF game system I've tried.

gamer888

I have made a quick google search for RF-F adapters but I had a bunch of different devices.

Could you send a link to see how they look like exactly???

Nesmaniac

https://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-Female-F-Type-Coax-Adapter/dp/B000V1O1LM/ref=pd_sbs_63_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000V1O1LM&pd_rd_r=ZX6Y3438E9X3KMJAJEA0&pd_rd_w=FtvTh&pd_rd_wg=O1fwn&psc=1&refRID=ZX6Y3438E9X3KMJAJEA0

Here's amazon link to them. I recommend buying a lot of 6 or 10 of them because you can get them for like $6-10 that way and they come in handy with all old game systems. Also, buy a good thick shielded grounded Audio cable (like a subwoofer cable) while you are at it and if you can get buy with 3 feet do it shorter the better. I've not tried 6' ones yet but for my famicom player I use NES controller length wire I switched out & 3' cable. Picture on LCD is great like that.