Screwdriver to open SFC/SNES cartridges, what is it called and where can I buy

Started by Protoman, April 21, 2018, 02:49:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Protoman

Looking for a screwdriver to open SFC/SNES cartridges, what is it called and where can I buy it. Is it those ones they call "Gamebit"?

My plan is to separate my carts that have yellowed backsides and swap them for cheap pachinko games' backsides.

xIceMan

Yes, 3.8mm for cartridge and 4.5mm for console (or MD cartridges).

P

Yeah "gamebit" because it's for a security screw used by various (older) gaming consoles. I find them in various online stores, ebay, Tradera and the like. They are cheap so I'd buy both bit sizes at once and have it done with.

VegaVegas

I never even understood the point of having screwdrivers that are this small without any handle:
here

Are they comfortable in any way?? Sometimes screws hold plastic so hard it is barely possible to unscrew them using normal screwdrivers...

krzy

The question should be rather why they sell those bits, if 90% of such screws are placed so deep that only true screwdriver can reach them.

MWK

Kitajce pederasty, that's why :crazy:

edit:: MaarioS, please edit your post - link is fucking up the forum screen ratio, thank you.

P

Yes please use the url-tag instead of just posting a super long link.

Those small screw drivers without a handle are called "bit", that's the last part of gamebit. Yeah they should make them long enough to reach in deeply. Super Famicom screws are not that deep though and I never had any problems with unscrewing that system.

Protoman

Received mine in the mail today but I can't turn it as is so I need a screwdriver or one of those handles to put it in

P

Didn't knew it was a brand. I though gamebit was just a causal way to referring to a bit for security screws often used by gaming systems. Certainly engineers use another name.

Quote from: Protoman on April 26, 2018, 12:07:40 am
Received mine in the mail today but I can't turn it as is so I need a screwdriver or one of those handles to put it in
You can probably find one in any hardware store. These are standard things.