How to save with everdrive 64??

Started by gamer888, May 08, 2018, 06:15:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gamer888

Hi all

I got myself an everdrive which I believe is v 2.5 but maybe it is v 2. I think it is 2.5.

I do have an expansion pack but that's it..I don't have a memory pack or whatever it is called to save files.

I heard you can save on the card SD from the everdrive but on Quake 64, it keeps on asking my to insert a controller pack or something which I don't have.....do I need to buy a pack in order to save files while playing with the everdrive??

P

Yeah the everdrive can not simulate memory cards or anything (it can backup memory cards to the SD-card in the menu though). A memory card for Nintendo 64 is very cheap so you should get at least one. Make sure to get first-party though, I had third-party ones get stuck in my controller and they are infamous for loosing data here and there.

Most games only use memory cards for saving special (or very large) data, like ghost data in Mario Kart 64 or backup times in Wave Race 64 and the like, while main game save data is stored on the cartridge backup. But some games (usually third-party) uses the memory cards instead of cartridge backup for main game save data to save cost on cartridge production. Perfect Dark is actually able to use both the cartridge backup and memory cards for main game save data, and can copy between the two.

For cartridge backup games on the Everdrive v2 you need to press reset on the console so the save is copied to the SD card before you cut the power. There's a new version though (v3) with a battery (like the Famicom Everdrive) so you do not need to do that everytime (although, just like on the Famicom Everdrive, it may be a good idea to start a different game at times so that the save gets backed up on SD).

gamer888

I did some digging and you are both correct. I actually just purchased an (official?) memory card. Games like Quake 64 DOES require such card since there are no saves on the cartridge..but Golden Eye I think can skip the card and go straight to the cartridge (or in the case of the ever drive..the card SD).

P

Yeah Goldeneye uses ONLY cart backup, it has no support for memory cards at all unlike Perfect Dark.

The Everdrive also saves to the cartridge memory just like real game carts, it only copies to SD card on reset.