How do I know if my Famicom Disk Drive is working in the most optimal way?

Started by JohnnyPhantom, May 14, 2018, 11:55:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyPhantom

Hey Everyone!
I recently picked up a Famicom and Famicom Disk System, both were in non working condition and I'm in the process of restoring them to as close as new and working condition as possible. The disk drive appears to have just needed a new belt. The Famicom was full of dust bunnies and needed a good cleaning and it works well (next up is retrobriting it). Anyway. When I replaced the belt in the FDS, I tried to follow the new method, but no disks would be read. What I ended up doing was putting a disk in, trying to load it, if I got a 22 or 27 error, id remove the disk and slightly move the spindle hub in 1 direction. I kept doing this until it started working with my disks (I only have about 5). The system now works with my games, but I don't know for certain if its properly calibrated. I also don't know if the speed of the drive is correct. I've never had a Famicom or a Disk Drive in my life so I can't compare it to anything. Is there a way to optimize the drive? how do I know if the hub is in the proper place? and what about the speed of the drive? how can I tell if its tuned right?

I did mod the drive to be writeable, so if there's a test utility I could write to a disk and run, I could do that as well. I don't have a copy master that would have the utility

Hope my ramblings made sense.

Thanks everyone! I never had a famicom before, but so far I'm loving it since I got it!

P

Accoarding to Tomy from Tototek Copy Master works on the FDSStick as Loopy added Game Doctor format support to it:
Quote from: Tomy
FDS Copy Master v1.1 (lastest)
August 22, 2015 Tomy   

Copy Master software original from BUNG cracked by Me. (Keep original, no any modify). This fds image is doctor format (copier format). So, you need fds copier to run it. FDS Copy Master (564 downloads)

Copy Master use to Backup game/Copy game/Drive speed tuning. I was told that speed "5" is the best speed. But as I remember, new drive have speed "1". (I maybe wrong)

How to use :
1) Flash image to FDSSTICK.
2) Plug in copier to your Famicom. (Plug power supply to copier too)
3) Plug FDSSTICK to ram adapter.
4) Turn on your Famicom to load it.
5) Unplug FDSSTICK and plug ram adapter to FDS Drive.
6) You can Copy game/Drive speed tuning now.

You might be able to do the drive speed tuning this way (unless you also need the copier hardware to do this, I don't know).

famiac

Wouldn't you still need a game doctor to load game doctor disk images from fdsstick?

P

Ah yes Tomy even said that you need the copier to run it. My mistake.