April 19, 2024, 04:27:41 pm

Gold Famicom Mini

Started by Pikkon, May 19, 2018, 06:21:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pikkon

Surprised this wasn't mentioned earlier on here but the console does look sweet,anyone planing to get one when it's released.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clvj/index.html
https://kotaku.com/special-gold-colored-famicom-mini-coming-to-japan-1826002680

UglyJoe

The console looks pretty, but that game list looks like a 100 yen bin.

Retrospectives

May 19, 2018, 11:14:19 am #2 Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 11:20:10 am by Retrospectives
Cannot get it without pre order. Online pe order already fished. Need to go physically to store to pre book and only one per person.

I pre ordered three (my wife and friend helped with their pre booking)  :D

This is mainly for Japanese people growing up with both FC and jump magazine so for them is really a big thing since shonen jump celebrate 50 years.

In all honesty it offer nothing more except limited edition and color + games related to manga so for foreigner probably not offer much more than Famicom mini or NES classic already offer.

I paid around 8000 yen for each system but I see online people sell it for around 12.000 so it will probably rise significantly very quick. To be honest I bought 3. One for me and rest as pure investment.  :fire:

BTW Joe: It has Ankoku Shinwa. What more can you ask ^^

FAMICOM_87

zmaster18

Quote from: UglyJoe on May 19, 2018, 08:01:51 am
The console looks pretty, but that game list looks like a 100 yen bin.

When I first saw the list, I thought it was a joke because all these games are what we call "Kusoge".
The only game that I liked out the list was Magical Taruruto Kun. That was on of the first games I got on my Famicom and beat it twice because that's all I had to play at the time.

If Konami had their own Famicom Mini, that would be insane! With built-in Konami code in the menu. ;)

Retrospectives

Here is picture I took. I booked in Joshin. 1 person 1 system. I wonder really how many they made. They also will release normal Famicom Mini (and NES Classic) again at normal prices ahaha, so is good for everyone I suppose, but the Shonen Jump version I suppose mainly target is for people growing up with the magazines and the games as a nostalgia factor rather than the games are actually good. Even in Japan many these games are considered bad so in all honesty I already own most of them on Famicom original, but I will keep a copy just for nostalgic factors as afterall they celebrate 50 years!

P

I guess there's lot of kusoge as games based on manga or movie licenses tend to be and they are probably all cheap ones, but they are not ALL kusoge. I see Dragon Quest and Captain Tsubasa in there.

Retrospectives

Quote from: P on May 20, 2018, 03:44:57 pm
I guess there's lot of kusoge as games based on manga or movie licenses tend to be and they are probably all cheap ones, but they are not ALL kusoge. I see Dragon Quest and Captain Tsubasa in there.

Yes, that is true. Is just that western gamer preferences is much different from japanese in many ways. All these games are based on manga and Tsubasa as example were huge manga among many young people back then, the game was very well received, but this is the misunderstanding. Since non-japanese did not growing up with these cultural elements, for them Tsubasa might just be another random rpg based on whatever, in this case football.

So is very subjective saying kusoge without taking into account the cultural difference and preferences between west vs japan. Example, Ninja Hattori Kun (not in this system but still), is one of my favourite FC game. Why? Because I loved it as a child and i read the manga. But for average westerner it will probably be "Uh, at best average platformer", but in fact in Japan it sold very very well. Of total natural reasons.

Anyway, now they even sell pre-book tickets on YAJ ahaha.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w232688484

FAMICOM_87

Captain Tsubasa was very popular in eastern Europe as well because there was not official nintendo here,  only bootlegs.  So a friend of mine that love Tsubasa got that nickname from me.  :crazy:

Retrospectives

Quote from: FAMICOM_87 on May 21, 2018, 01:54:36 am
Captain Tsubasa was very popular in eastern Europe as well because there was not official nintendo here,  only bootlegs.  So a friend of mine that love Tsubasa got that nickname from me.  :crazy:

True. One of the games many kids who grew up in 90:s with pirate systems dendy/pegasus/etc often mention Tsubasa as one of their favorite sport game.

Post Merge: May 21, 2018, 02:46:38 am

Quote from: togemet2 on May 21, 2018, 02:06:28 am
The games aren't too great. I wonder what they were thinking with some of their choices... :-X
Cool design anyway. Might pick it up just for collecting reasons.

Licenses. All games have a relation to Jump. That is what they thinking. Cannot license a Jump version of Famicom with anything else than mangas that was featured in or around Jump magazines.

P

So how did Dragon Quest get in there? Because of Toriyama I guess, and because it was missing from the original mini.

Captain Tsubasa is a great game, I think it was localized with made-up characters in the west because a friend of mine had grown up with the game he was unaware of the Captain Tsubasa characters.
Captain Tsubasa was extremely popular in South American countries.

Dragon Ball is popular all over the world and there are tons of kusoge of it that sells like cookies anyway. Because license games often sells like cookies despite often being crap. Then it ends up being lots of them so they go into the 100 yen bin.

fcgamer

Captain Tsubasa II was translated into Arabic language unofficially and made its way onto multicarts for the Middle East market ;)
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

FAMICOM_87

Quote from: fcgamer on May 22, 2018, 06:41:06 am
Captain Tsubasa II was translated into Arabic language unofficially and made its way onto multicarts for the Middle East market ;)

they translated it Captain Majid  ;D

fcgamer

Quote from: FAMICOM_87 on May 22, 2018, 02:14:12 pm
Quote from: fcgamer on May 22, 2018, 06:41:06 am

they translated it Captain Majid  ;D

Yes, the first game received title screen hack, the second a translation :)
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

Retrospectives

Just came home from Joshin, picked up three.  :P Not sure how many they had in stock, but apparently yet not sold out although booking were sold out since very long, but still they sold it. FINALLY!

If someone interested getting a copy, can send me PM and I try my best to arrange. Thanks. Also the Famicom Mini re-stock.  8)