Started by DDCecil, May 26, 2014, 08:34:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

L___E___T

Quote from: DDCecil on February 05, 2018, 06:36:16 pm
I think I'm finally finished!

http://ddcecil.tripod.com/ddcecilsmw18.zip

Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster on September 27, 2017, 08:31:40 pm
Will this work on a flashcart?

Probably! Maybe someone here can try it with one or on a hacked SNES Classic.

Hi DDCecil - just a quick note to say I did try this on a SNES Classic Mini, and unfortunately it wouldn't boot.

Not sure why, I definitely patched it correctly.  Funnily enough, VLDC9 booted right up and runs perfectly, which was a total surprise.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

DDCecil

L___E___T

Would love to get it working another way, but I can't think what the error might be unfortunately.  I used the same ROM and patch utility for each.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

P

Does it use SA-1 or something?

Anyway I'm glad it works on real hardware and it looks great. I love the hack that brings back SMB1/2/3 rules to the SMW engine. I'd love to test it once I get access to my SFC and SD2SNES again.

DDCecil

Quote from: P on May 24, 2018, 06:41:54 am
Does it use SA-1 or something?

Anyway I'm glad it works on real hardware and it looks great. I love the hack that brings back SMB1/2/3 rules to the SMW engine. I'd love to test it once I get access to my SFC and SD2SNES again.

I didn't use SA-1, but I did increase the ROM from 2MB to 3MB.

Here's my programmer notes of most the changes I made:

Quoteadded graphics and exgraphics (YYCHR)
added blocks (BlockTool)
New ending text
New Title Screen movement
18a6 - 80 03 - mario start! gone because it causes weird flash of light on cartridge
2025 - 02 - 3 lives instead of 5
f989 and 10aa2 - 21 - moving coin from yoshi eggs instead of 1-UP
f307 - 01 - 10 seconds green berry instead of 20
7819 - 0d to 12 - mario doesn't scroll the screen vertically when he dies
2CE50 - 05 to 01 - x10 timer text
2d07a and 2d092 - 32 to 0a for 10 seconds per score instead of 50
a.txt and b.txt with asar for entering castles with any button
score.asm patched for over 400 seconds remaining
enemies don't turn into coins with fireball
lightning added! D0 LIGHTNING2.CFG in sprites.txt with romi
silver pow works on munchers only. (see mariowiki/pswitch)
102E and 0F8B change to 56 - slow down timer
starman - every enemy is worth 200 points
8/24/16 - fast scroll without sprite
iggy ball/grinder/big boo/gas bubble/bowserfire - no sliding with tweaker
2D964 to 06 to fix no yoshi
New sprites (Romi's Spritetool)
Added music with AddmusicK

P

Hmm I have no idea why it does not work on Classic Mini. I guess that the emulator isn't feature complete enough, as it is only made to play the games Nintendo choose to put in it (although it probably works with a lot of other games as well).

Hopefully it works on SD2SNES.

L___E___T

Quote from: P
Hmm I have no idea why it does not work on Classic Mini. I guess that the emulator isn't feature complete enough, as it is only made to play the games Nintendo choose to put in it.

That's the weird thing - The machine I believe does have SA-1 support, it's based on the Virtual Console to some degree which does support SA-1 games like Street Fighter Zero 2, and ironically it even runs VLDC9 which was a very welcome surprise.  That is another SMW hack with RAM boosted way up to around 6MB I think, and with all sorts of ASM tricks thrown in.  It won't run on real hardware unfortunately, and SD2SNES doesn't support it until SA-1 is added.  That may never happen (there's hope because unofficial Super FX support was recently added) so it was great to see VLDC9 run on the mini.  But then why won't DDcecil's hack run?  Wish I knew...
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

GastonW

May 28, 2018, 05:34:01 am #22 Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 07:40:20 am by GastonW
Quote from: P on May 26, 2018, 04:18:01 amHmm I only use Bluehost and have no idea why it does not work on Classic Mini. I guess that the emulator isn't feature complete enough, as it is only made to play the games Nintendo choose to put in it (although it probably works with a lot of other games as well).

Hopefully it works on SD2SNES.

Is this emulator still in development? Is there hope it could work with a lot more games in the future?

P

I don't think Nintendo will release updates for the Classic Minis, they are designed to only to run the games that comes with them, not to be able to add more games.

It does have both SuperFX and SA-1 games so it does have some support for both co-processors. But since DDCecil's hack doesn't use co-processors the problem must be some other thing that isn't emulated correctly. This list has many non-co-processor games not working on the Classic Mini.

Oh SuperFX support for the SD2SNES was a welcome surprise! I need to look more into that.

Jedi Master Baiter

I just tried this on my Super EverDrive.

Sorry... :(

...I didn't try this sooner! :D This hack is awesome. ;D I love the grey switches. ;) :yoshi: :mario: I can't wait to see all the throwbacks. :pow: :help: :bomb: :coin: :star: :question: <- I didn't realize so many of our icons are Mario-related.

I assume this will also work on a SD2SNES.

Jedi Master Baiter

It started out pretty good, but it quickly became stale:

The map screen is exactly the same. The throwbacks are few and far between; most stages are SMW-esque stages without much quirks. I noticed most of the floor in Vanilla Dome is the slippery kind for no real reason (even in the fortress), and why are you so stingy with the feathers? I see so many instances where I need to fly up to a secret passage. It's like the hammer in Kirby & the Amazing Mirror: you can never find it when you need it.

I don't know where to find the stages in those screenshots, but I don't feel like playing this anymore. :(

Oh, by the way, that Lava Land was really cool, though. 8)

DDCecil

Yeah, it still needs more work and it took me forever just to change one path on the overworld which I hope to learn more about in the future. Sorry about the feathers, it's so hard balancing power-ups. Thanks for playing, but before you give it up for good:

Spoiler
Enter the level Opening Statement, go all the way left, and duck for a few seconds.
[close]

Jedi Master Baiter

Quote from: DDCecil on June 10, 2018, 05:05:12 pm
Spoiler
Enter the level Opening Statement, go all the way left, and duck for a few seconds.
[close]

Okay. That's interesting.