Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 19, 2018, 02:51:21 AM
Home Famicom World Search Calendar Login Register

+  Famicom World
|-+  Misc.
| |-+  Other Gaming (Moderators: manuel, L___E___T)
| | |-+  Sky Skipper + Donkey Kong Nintendo Switch
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sky Skipper + Donkey Kong Nintendo Switch  (Read 552 times)
togemet2
Disk System
Netherlands Netherlands

HVC-001

« on: June 15, 2018, 06:13:08 AM »

Anyone else excited for this? Soon it will be the first time we receive an official release of the arcade original Donkey Kong as well as an official release of Sky Skipper.

It seems Donkey Kong will be coming with multiple different sets. (US Set, Japan Set, etc). I'm really a fan of that since anyone can play what they're most familiar with. Pretty cool to also see Sky Skipper getting a release. The Sky Skipper team is probably freaking out about it right now haha.  Grin
P
FamicomBox
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 08:56:02 AM »

Oh Sky Skipper! I played this game in Mame long ago and then forget its name and couldn't find it again! Thanks for reminding me! Cheesy It's great news that it finally gets a release! Apparently the ROM was extracted from the only working prototype cabinets (kept by NOA) and sent to Japan so that they could make the Arcade Archives version. But the ROM has existed in Mame format since many years back so I'm not sure what they mean.

Yeah Donkey Kong is in the Japanese Switch eShop already and has both old and new Japanese versions and international version (with scrambled levels and all) according to the description so I guess it's the same game for all regions. That's great!

I might just get these two games. I usually don't buy Virtual Console games as I already have most of the hardware and rather just get the real games. But arcade games aren't so easy to collect so emulation is usually the way to go.

togemet2
Disk System
Netherlands Netherlands

HVC-001

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 10:39:02 AM »

No problem haha  Bub
The original ROM was dumped by another company that was close to NoA without their permission but that was years before Arcade Archives. Apparently the only remaining unmodified board is busted and can't be booted. So who knows!
DDCecil
AV Famicom
United States United States

Member #286!

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 04:35:37 PM »

I always enjoyed the Atari 2600 version of Sky Skipper, so I might have to get this!

Retrospectives
AV Famicom

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 01:28:33 PM »

The big question is who is the angry Monkey? Is not a bear, because he has exact same body proportion as arcade Donkey Kong, except he looks slightly more angry, while DK seems happy on the flyers, but this guy just seem angry. Anyone know whats up with that thing?

DDCecil
AV Famicom
United States United States

Member #286!

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 07:49:35 PM »

The Atari 2600 manual just calls it "the dangerous gorilla".

P
FamicomBox
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 10:30:00 PM »

I don't have Mame on this computer but the Mame version probably has history files that explains the story. From what I remember the royal (trump card) family was locked in in the castle by these baseball gorillas or something and the hero (the biplane pilot) is trying to save them. It's possible I have made this all up in my head though. Huh

Edit: The story is in the arcade game itself. Wonder kingdom was conquered by gorillas and (Mr) you are fighting them by plane and dropping bombs. I knew it was something like that.
Gameplay video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp6xv7xkqtw

From Mame history.dat file:
Spoiler  :

Sky Skipper (c) 1981 Nintendo.

The wonder kingdom is conquered by giant gorillas the player controls a hero pilot and your mission is to save the king and the royal family and his aides have been kidnaped and caged you must rescue and release them, dropping bombs on gorillas to knock them and catch with your plane all the characters, maneuvering through the maze stay alert to replenish your fuel tank and avoiding colliding with the environment to clear the stage.

- TECHNICAL -

Main CPU : Zilog Z80 (@ 4 Mhz)
Sound Chips : General Instrument AY8910 (@ 2 Mhz)

Screen orientation : Horizontal
Video resolution : 512 x 448 pixels
Screen refresh : 60.00 Hz
Palette colors : 288

Players : 2
Control : 8-way joystick
Buttons : 2

- TRIVIA -

Sky Skipper was released in August 1981 in Japan.

Some of clear stage tunes in the game sounds very similar like melodies of these contemporary games such: Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr and Pinball.

- PORTS -

* CONSOLES:
Atari 2600 (1983)

- SOURCES -

Game's ROM.
Machine's picture.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 02:54:36 AM by P » Logged

togemet2
Disk System
Netherlands Netherlands

HVC-001

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 05:37:23 AM »

The big question is who is the angry Monkey? Is not a bear, because he has exact same body proportion as arcade Donkey Kong, except he looks slightly more angry, while DK seems happy on the flyers, but this guy just seem angry. Anyone know whats up with that thing?

Not sure, but it was confirmed that Miyamoto drew that art!
Retrospectives
AV Famicom

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 08:25:57 AM »

Nice, thanks for the info everyone. So now we know the background story of Donkey Kong. Although released one month later than DK, Donkey Kong simply was one of those "giant gorillas" from the wonder kingdom. He got tired and escaped to the big city. The Royal Family from Sky Skipper had to be rescued, but Donkey Kong was actually quite nice guy, so he felt he was treated injustified, and escaped.

Donkey Kong was a total pacifist from the beginning, but all his life was told to guard against the Royal Family to keep the in castle, so all he knew was to kidnap. So after coming to big city he decided that since all and his spieces know is about = kidnapping, he kidnapped Pauline just by pure instinct, and that is why Jumpman has to save her.

In reality, Sky Skipper is a Prequel to DK, and DK Jr is the true Sequel to DK, because after Jumpman saved Pauline, he was captured. Now feeling the same emotions as the people he kidnapped, his son from Wonder Kingdom went out to rescue him, and succeeded. Since we all know that both Jumpman (later Mario) and DK fell on their head during last stages, we can conclude these both became dizzy and probably mentally...well...off.

So there we have it. Jumpman changed name to Mario, started to eat mushrooms and yeah well, totally crazy story. Still need to rescue princesses from evil beings but now in a more twisted manners with flying fish, mushrooms and other strange thing.

DK persued a career as math teacher, hockey player and even tried to become a muscisian before he changed his mind and well...was put to rest when RARE decided to end his already miserable life.

Poor gorilla. Totally misunderstood and just wanted to find peace in the big city. Mario on the other hand, he is still out there, doing his things, mushrooms getting bigger, and life for mario just goes on and on....
P
FamicomBox
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 10:18:02 AM »

Haha, I also like to draw some kind of parallel between these giant monkeys and Donkey Kong. The monkeys are at least inspired by Donkey Kong (which is inspired by both Bluto from Popeye and of course King Kong).
Wonder kingdom is the name of the kingdom the frog, rabbit, chicken and trump cards are from and the gorillas are an invading race, taking over the castle and locking everyone in. I think "Sky Skipper" could be the name of the biplane, or it's just a name of the game without any deeper meaning.

I believe Jumpman was just one of many suggested names Mario had before he became "Mario" (unlike Pauline which is often called "Lady" in many sources).
Miyamoto once said Donkey Kong was really a kind monkey but as he was abused by his owner (check out Mario laughing at Donkey in Donky Kong Circus) he decided to get back at him by kidnapping his girlfriend only to return her later. But Mario rescued her and locked Donkey up again until rescued by Jr.

Then Donkey decided to rampage in Stanley's greenhouse for some reason.

We discussed this endlessly at Nesdev but no one seems to know what happened to Donkey Kong today. According to Rare, Cranky Kong is the old ape from the arcade games and the newly designed Donkey Kong is either a grown up Donkey Kong Jr or some other ape (possibly Jr's son). Cranky have been referred as both Donkey's dad and as his grandpa (later games mostly as his dad). I believe there was confusion within both Rare and Nintendo when making Donkey Kong Country / Super Donkey Kong which is why there are so many contradicting statements in game manuals and such.
Many games just ignores this and acts like there is only one Donkey Kong, but still using Rare's design. Mario Tennis 64 even has Donkey Kong (with Rare's design) and Donkey Kong Jr as two separate playable characters in the same game. Jr also appears in the audience in Waluigi Stadium of Mario Kart Double Dash, and Donkey Kong is a playable character. Interestingly enough Jr was removed from the audience of the same Waluigi Stadium track in Mario Kart Wii.

Retrospectives
AV Famicom

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 10:38:07 AM »

Yes, I heard a lot of theories, most of them trying link Miyamoto/Nintendo words together with historical connections about Cranky Kong and RARE etc. At best, will remain just like that, because in all honesty I think there has to be a bit room for imagination. After all is just a game so for me I personally not really scratch my head to much about what happened.

But if we were to be serious about it, I would say like this: Original DK franchise started with DK, DKJr, DK3, and all those ports and exclusive games to G&W handhelds, panorama, tabletop, consoles and even computers etc etc. Even other games where DK or JR appeared such as Mario Kart, we still talk about the original line of monkey.

After that is clear that Donkey Kong 94 on Game Boy/ Super Game Boy was the last game Donkey Kong was "that" Donkey Kong I believe. He got a red necktie. Which actually Miyamoto designed for DK94. Because this is first occasion he wear the necktie, and this game predates "Super Donkey Kong" by a couple month and Rare seem to have added it.

My personal believe is that DK94 and Super Donkey Kong made a split. After that time, is not possible that any "Cranky Kong" could be related to the original DK. Why? Becase he appears as fresh as ever in Game Watch Gallery 4, or? No, actually if taking a closer look at DK from the intro screen, we clearly see that this is the "Super DK" monkey and not the old style square ape as we knew him ahahaha.

So overall is a big mystery that seem to melt together. It would be logical to connect the franchises, but in reality I think is just a game and that we have to live with the fact that is fiction and cannot be applied total logical thinking.

And like you mention about the later releases of Mario Kart and Mario Tennis etc, is clear that maybe not even Nintendo or Rare got any clue anymore how and if to make a difference between them.

Not to mention all the Mario vs DK games, the Hudson ports and the cancelled "Return of Donkey Kong" for FC/NES that were going to release around 88-89, ドンキーコングの音楽あそび (The music game) and very much more. Even if following the Hudson Donkey Kong 3 manual of the story, they even tell the player to come up with a good ending and send it into Hudson (then)  Sapporo office.

Here is a picture Miyamoto drew for Rare which was kind of an early sketch of how he would imagine Super DK. Notice the necktie was drawn by Miyamoto and not Rare.

All things considered, is totally impossible to take all the games and make a reasonable timeline. I mean, from being a circus ape to kidnapping women in the city to become kidnapped, to invade a greenhouse, to become a math teacher, a hockey player, and in the meantime flying into space, while his son becomes a racer, and the birth of a totally new generation, I mean...It cannot possibly make any sense as far as timeline goes haha.  Cheesy

image hosting over 10mb
P
FamicomBox
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 10:38:02 PM »

Cranky is no doubt supposed to be the old Donkey from the arcades, although whether that is considered cannon or not by Nintendo is a bit unclear (I personally never liked Rare's split in the series). It apparently started with Rare redesigning Donkey and Jr, but Jr's design was too different from his old design (he had a tail and no longer was a gorilla) that Nintendo would not accept him unless they made him into a new character instead. So he bacame Diddy Kong, and they made the newly designed Donkey Kong to be a different ape than the old Donkey, whom was made into Cranky. They never said Super Donkey is a grown up Jr in the manual and in the first game Cranky is calling himself his grandfather. Rare later retconned it and asked people to ignore all the instances where it says Cranky is his grandfather. So Rare's official stance seems to be that he is a grown up Jr, and it seems that Nintendo supports this (although they ignore that fact in some games). Therefore I believe there where lots of confusion among Nintendo and possibly even among Rare staff members at the time of Super Donkey Kong's creation.

So overall is a big mystery that seem to melt together. It would be logical to connect the franchises, but in reality I think is just a game and that we have to live with the fact that is fiction and cannot be applied total logical thinking.
Yeah I couldn't say it better myself. The Donkey Kong and Mario series are both powered by mystery, and trying to make logical sense out of them is probably not a good idea.
Mario was a carpenter but also an animal trainer (with a whole zoo of crocodiles and birds besides Donkey Kong) and went through many other jobs as a plumber, wrecking crew member, doctor, bottle factory worker, cement factory worker, boxing and tennis referee, toy factory owner, military and is doing all kinds of sports. In Super Mario Land series he even has his own land and castle.

Retrospectives
AV Famicom

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 02:30:21 AM »

(I personally never liked Rare's split in the series). It apparently started with Rare redesigning Donkey and Jr, but Jr's design was too different from his old design (he had a tail and no longer was a gorilla) that Nintendo would not accept him unless they made him into a new character instead. So he bacame Diddy Kong, and they made the newly designed Donkey Kong to be a different ape than the old Donkey, whom was made into Cranky.

Mario was a carpenter but also an animal trainer (with a whole zoo of crocodiles and birds besides Donkey Kong) and went through many other jobs as a plumber, wrecking crew member, doctor, bottle factory worker, cement factory worker, boxing and tennis referee, toy factory owner, military and is doing all kinds of sports. In Super Mario Land series he even has his own land and castle.

I couldn't agree more with you P. As I am big fan of Donkey Kong original series, I personally count the original Franchise separately, although of course I understand people if they do not do that separation, but for me is goes up to around DK94, or basically when Rare became involved. Not say RARE did bad job, but honestly, not my cup of tea.  Cheesy

Yes, that is also a good point as can be applied to Mario Series overall, I suppose you referring to Mario Land 2? I remember Mario Zone (the land) where Mecha Mario and the Lego-type of block levels, and I think this Zone had the pigs (not the three boss pigs) that shoots cannon from their mouth, which resemble Bio miracle bokutte upa pigs ehehe.

Other interesting is also cameos of DK/Jr in various Nintendo game. I think one of the first was in Punch Out for the Arcade game. He is in the audience. Also for the disk system game Smash Ping Pong he (or Jr) is in the audience clapping hand and smiling when you score a point. I suppose the later one is one of the most hidden cameos since only release for FDS and therefore only in Japan officialy (not counting pirates).

Anyway yeah, it is what it is, for good and for bad. Just a matter of preferences but for such a long running franchise (both DK and Mario) is really not unusual as we see many of same thing from example the movie industy etc, so I suppose we just have to live with the fact is simply just video game, but at least is funny to brainstorm about alternative theories about storylines, like Sky Skipper Gorillas etc ahaha.

There is something special about gorillas and early video games. I like to connect the gorilla from Crazy Climber, and King Kong 2 Megaton Punch and even King Kong 1 for MSX haha. There is something appealing about retro-gorillas.  Cool
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 02:37:04 AM by Retrospectives » Logged
P
FamicomBox
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 10:56:03 AM »

Yeah Rare more or less destroyed Donkey Kong for me. I don't care which ape is which so much, but the fact that Miyamoto's design is always replaced by Rare's regent hairstyle monkey and the fact that Jr don't appear in games anymore (Mario Tennis 64 and Double Dash are rare exceptions) isn't very fun. The Super Donkey Kong games themselves are not bad though. Although the pre-rendered 3D graphics aren't very exciting anymore, and they don't have so much to do with Donkey Kong, they are still solid platform games.

I suppose you referring to Mario Land 2? I remember Mario Zone (the land) where Mecha Mario and the Lego-type of block levels
Yeah well while in the first Super Mario Land he is in Sarasa-land and cheating on Peach by saving other princesses, Super Mario Land 2 shows that he is ruling over his own landmass, castle and people. Wario apparently stole it when Mario was in Sarasa-land. The whole game seems to take place in "Mario Land" and the blocks are actually Nintendo's old Lego clone "N&B Blocks" (I always thought they where Lego).

Retrospectives
AV Famicom

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 05:12:29 PM »

You know, as they say. Donkey Kong, King Kong, Monkey Kong, Kinky Kong, Hong Kong, Ping Pong, is all the same Gorilla. Might even be Bluto/Brutus in a Gorilla Suit. At least that made more sense than RARE version of DK because that is clearly not the same.

On more serious note yeah I agree. Is not a bad game per se. Is just not feeling right to call it Donkey Kong. Better off if they just started new franchise. I mean, they made Banjo Kazooie or whatever is called, so they absolutely had enough imagination creating new characters. Only new character of New DK (Rare DK) I really like is Dinky Kong because he remotely looks like DK Jr, but that is about it.

I remember when it got released. Everyone thought this is the new 64-bit system. I mean Super DK.  Angry
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: