RAM adapter with no FDS sound

Started by zmaster18, June 19, 2018, 04:25:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

zmaster18

Hey guys, I got a RAM adapter that works fine and outputs sound, except for the FDS FM channel. I suspect it's a broken trace...

I think the damaged trace is either around pin 54 of the 2C33, or possibly a pin on the cartridge connector. Does anyone have an idea?

I will post the results when it is repaired :P

P

I guess it can not be any problems with the cartridge edge connector pin 45 and 46 since APU sound is coming out.
So yeah I'd also check the audio output pin of 2C33. If it's not the problem I'd continue and check the rest of the pins from 2C33.

zmaster18

I fixed the issue! Next to the RAM adapter's cartridge connector is a little ceramic capacitor as well as a tiny electrolytic cap. The ceramic cap was bent over so I just bent it back with my finger and now the sound is back! :) I had spent all this time checking traces and reading about pinouts and all I had to do was make sure this component was standing up straight! :P

Now anyone else with this issue should easily be able to fix it!

famiac

Could be a bad solder joint. Might wanna reflow the solder on the capacitor legs to prevent the issue from happening again