I'm going to Tokyo Game Show

Started by Protoman, August 01, 2018, 02:23:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Protoman

I've been living in Kyoto Japan the last 10 months and I'm moving back to good old Sweden on october 2nd, but before that I thought I'd round out my stay with a doozy, the Tokyo Game Show. I'll be going on saturday the 22nd of september, on public day of course because my Youtube channel is not nearly enough to count as press(does that happen in Japan or is it just in the states where people like AngryJoe can go to E3..?)

Has anyone here been to TGS? What can I expect, except for it to be super crowded?
Besides maybe playing Rockman 11 before it comes out, I'm mostly hoping to take in the athmosphere and hopefully meet some
game industry figures/devs walking around the floor. That happened at the Kyoto bitsummit but maybe they don't do that at the big shows?
Is there any time of day where it's more or less people there?

Any tips, advice or suggestions welcome.

Yelir

I don't think many YT creators get invites, unless the devs/team personally watch the content and have guest list access. What are your thoughts?

I would personally love to have an item signed by Itoi for my collection, don't think he'd be going to much events though recently.

I hope if you have time, we'd all appreciate to see any photos of what you get up to! :redcart:

Good luck!

Retrospectives

Even with YouTube account you cannot just go there. Need Press registration from a commercial website/news agency if want to go. Is actually quite strict rules about who can go and not. I was invited by friend one time maybe 4 year ago, but I never went because I had work, and since he not going to attend he cannot send guest invite.

Is sad, but I think is for the best. Or else would be totally overcrowded because I think so many people, not only from abroad but especially Japanese want to get inside, but really, you could always claim you from a Swedish online website or something, but I assume they ask for a copy of press legitimation, so I assume won't work.

Too bad.

nensondubois

I would love to go to the Tokyo game show but unfortunately, there are many hurdles such as having almost no money to go, no passport, and no invite of course are the obvious issues. I can read quite a bit of Japanese but I'm horrible at speaking it and holding up a conversation much less with someone. My chances of going in the near future are next to zero at this point. I wonder what crazy goodies would be there.

fcgamer

Quote from: nensondubois on August 05, 2018, 08:41:53 pm
I would love to go to the Tokyo game show but unfortunately, there are many hurdles such as having almost no money to go, no passport, and no invite of course are the obvious issues. I can read quite a bit of Japanese but I'm horrible at speaking it and holding up a conversation much less with someone. My chances of going in the near future are next to zero at this point. I wonder what crazy goodies would be there.

Hahahaha.   ;D  I guess I could say the same, since I can read a good portion of  shared kanji due to studying Chinese. 
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

Protoman

https://imgur.com/a/wrzho0a

Here's some pics from TGS 2018.

Apparently I went on the wrong day as on the sunday both Hideo Kojima and Arino Kacho appeared, unlike saturday when I was there. I hoped to meet developers and gaming figures like when I was at the Kyoto bitsummit, but there was nobody out and about that I could see. To be fair though, if I was a dev I wouldn't want to be walking around such a crowded space either. I did get my GCCX book signed by Producer Kan and Tanizawa, as well as a composer from Natsume, so that's something.

nensondubois

Quote from: Protoman on September 23, 2018, 03:05:56 am

Here's some pics from TGS 2018.

Apparently I went on the wrong day as on the sunday both Hideo Kojima and Arino Kacho appeared, unlike saturday when I was there. I hoped to meet developers and gaming figures like when I was at the Kyoto bitsummit, but there was nobody out and about that I could see. To be fair though, if I was a dev I wouldn't want to be walking around such a crowded space either. I did get my GCCX book signed by Producer Kan and Tanizawa, as well as a composer from Natsume, so that's something.

Bummer. Huh, that's interesting. Was it Iku Mizutani or Koichi Yamanishi who signed your book? They made really good music including Tetris Plus, Hole in One Golf, Real Pro Yakyuu, etc.

Protoman

Quote from: nensondubois on September 27, 2018, 09:42:41 pm
Quote from: Protoman on September 23, 2018, 03:05:56 am
Huh, that's interesting. Was it Iku Mizutani or Koichi Yamanishi who signed your book? They made really good music including Tetris Plus, Hole in One Golf, Real Pro Yakyuu, etc.

It was Hiroyuki Iwatsuki.