Famicom Controller Recommendation

Started by umjammercammy, September 09, 2018, 07:22:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

umjammercammy

I know this is a super generic question but would anyone be able to recommend me a good controller that can hit diagonals easily for things like shmups?

I'm struggling with diagonals in a lot of games, I'm getting really rigid 4-way feeling movement in games where I really want easier diagonals. I dunno why this really is, I'm using the stock pads on a Twin Famicom altho the dpad on my player 1 controller is also creaking when pressed and even sticks at times. I've taken it apart and cleaned it with rubbing alcohol twice in the time I've had it but it hasn't really improved anything, or at least it did, since previously it had a "gummy" feel, but it's still far from perfect.

I've eyeballed the Hudson joystick but I've also read that it has a hard time with diagonals as well, and I'm not super fond of joystick controllers that don't actually click like a real arcade machine would. I'd prefer a pad but I'm open to stick recommendations also if any notable good ones exist. I've looked into the Micomsoft stick but from what I've seen it's just a bit too rich for my blood right now.

Retrospectives

Hudson Joy Card is what you looking for. It has autofire and was released in alternative color with the shmup game Hector 87, but that controller is basically same as Hudson Joy Card, just different color and renamed for the game.

Then there is Sansui Joy Card SSS, which is basically a very similar controller but with earphone jack. I prefer the original though, but all three has rapid fire and is totally OK for shmup. Not best but much better than original hardwired controller. Just make sure rubber is in good condition.

Then we have BPX MAX or something, is was released for NES as official Nintendo brand, but overall is the same thing. Has this plastic thing instead of D-Pad. Is very not good but if ignoring the plastic thing and just press the corners (is shape like O-circle) then can be OK to use with diagonals but I cannot recommend it.

Joystick there is many option, but yes, Micom Soft released their version to FC and that has microswitches and is superior to all other alternative in term of shmups. But if used to D-Pad then Hudson Joy Card is my choice of recommend. Also I think rubber is compatible with Famicom/NES controllers, both D-Pad and buttons. So buy new pair of rubber and you will be ready to go.

aitsu124

If you can fix your controller, you could potentially consider the Super Controller. That way, you could pop one on to each controller (comes in a set of two) and have easier diagonals.
Increasing source of obscure Japanese information...and interface.

P

Is the Hudson Joycard's d-pad better for diagonals than Nintendo's?

There was also that rubber "Famicoin" from Taito that increases grip on the d-pad. No idea if it helps for diagonals though.

For joysticks with arcade parts you don't have to get an expensive Micomsoft one. There's the ASCII Stick and you can also get a Capcom Power Stick Fighter cheap nowdays. Just make sure to get one with both Famicom and Super Famicom cables so you can use it for both systems. The earlier versions comes with a real Sanwa JLW and later ones with a Seimitsu LS-40 clone.

Retrospectives

I absolutely feel that it is better. More tactile, and is a bit bigger than the original so for shmups I feel is absolutely better. Travel is a bit longer though but not in bad way since it makes the D-pad "shooting out" little bit more than the original as the plastic part can be pushed diagonally easier.

True. ASCII stick can easily be modded. I would prefer Seimitsu over Sanwa anyday for shmups, but for overall gaming of course JLW is the "standard", and would do good for even shmups.

Hamburglar

I like the NES controller, but on Japanese Famicom controllers the D-pad always felt a little off, I looked at both D-pads and they are a little different.

I'd say get some working NES controllers, swap out the D-pads and the rubber domes if the ones on your twin are too worn.
I wash the buttons,d-pad, domes, and controller shell-  I leave them in the sink with hot water and a dish soap that does not have perfume etc. scrub them with a nylon brush.

3rd party controllers through the EXP port are great but won't work with all games.

Best controller for me is the SNES asciipad to a AV Famicom through an adapter. Saturn pads to a AV Famicom with a converter are awesome as well but it feels like cheating.

umjammercammy

I went ahead and got the Hudson Joy Card, thank you for the recommendations.  :yoshi:

It arrived today, altho it looks like luck just isn't in my cards because the controller is acting up. It was listed as tested/working, but it's absolutely far from when I try it out myself. "right" on the dpad isn't working, the start button doesn't work most of the times I press it, and the weirdest part is when I press the A button it pauses the game. Like what the hell is going on

I took it apart and cleaned the contacts but this hasn't changed anything. I've tested it on both my Twin Famicom and my NES using the ENIO EXP FC controller adapter and it's still having the same issues. I've tried it with both Super Mario Bros. and Mario 3, same issues.

umjammercammy

The membranes seem to be in good physical shape when I take it apart, but I don't know why the A button is pausing the game still. Would that still be membrane-related?

P

Nah but the fact that buttons don't work at times could be membrane-related or electronic-related.
The fact that A acts like START sounds like some kind of problem with the electronics. Thankfully all the electronic components are standard stuff, so there's nothing that can't be replaced.

I'd first test the wires and traces for continuity to see that there are no broken wires in the cable or so.