Recommended Games for a Newbie

Started by conrat4567, September 20, 2018, 03:57:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

conrat4567

Hi, I am new to this forum and to the famicom world so I thought I would ask more experienced users what games I should look at getting first. My famicom is AV modded and all ready to use but with only one game (Namco Classic Golf) it can get a little stale.

Cheers chaps
Famicom and get some!

Ghegs

That's a wide-ranging question there. What kind of games do you like?

Your nickname almost spells out Contra, that's a great start right there. Bit on the pricey side nowadays, though.

conrat4567

I like a wide range of games, particularity RPGs but I don't speak Japanese. I am a fan of SHMUPS and side scrollers though
Famicom and get some!

famiac

Shoutout to a former member at FW:
https://www.instagram.com/viceprojectgaiden/
You might wanna snoop around his channel. He posts short reviews, and I mostly trust his opinion.

conrat4567

Famicom and get some!

theoakwoody

It's fun to go after the famicom games with the sound chips although they have gotten pricier recently.  I mostly use the everdrive but I have a few actual carts and disks.  I know you just got started but the famicom disk system is so interesting to me and there were so many good games that debuted on the system like Zelda, Metroid, kid Icarus, Mario 2, Mario USA, and so on.  There is also the fds stick which is cheap and allows you to try out the games with just a ram adapter.

conrat4567

Yeah, I want to get a disk system at some point but I couldn't trust myself with a belt replacement so I would need to buy a refurbished one but then again UK postal services treat packages like pinatas.
Famicom and get some!

M-Tee

I can't chime in on cost or availability, but some suggested early titles:

Popeye no Eigo Asobi : a fun way to familiarize yourself with basic Japanese vocab.
Nuts & Milk: adorable and engaging single-screen platformer
Warpman: co-op overhead shooter with a bit of a bomberman feel to it (sans bricks)
Ikki: scrolling overhead "shooter", in which you play as a farmer throwing sickles at ninja
Binary Land: interesting single screen puzzle game in which you control two penguins at once.
Layla: excellent run and gun title. My favorite Famicom exclusive.
Igo: Kyū Roban Taikyoku: absolute top suggestion for anyone looking to get into Go. The 9x9 playfield makes for short sessions and is the best range to learn on, and makes winning possible for beginners once basic mechanics are figured out.

P

Famicom is the king of platform games, so there should be plenty of that. There are no shortage of shmups either, the most famous ones being the Gradius series, Zanac, Gun-Nac, Recca, Dezaemon and the genre-mix Guardic Gaiden among many others.

For FDS games there should be several threads if you dig around a bit. Like this one.

For RPGs and Adventure games I guess there is no choice but to get an Everdrive and/or an FDSStick so you can play fan-translated games. I highly recommend the FDSStick either way, it's very cheap and works as a perfect replacement for a disk drive. Plus you get all the advantages of a flashcart, like the possibility of hacks and able to backup your saves without having to worry about demagnetized disks.

Finally a link to one of our user's homepage with tons of reviews and manual scans for Famicom (cart and FDS), PC Engine, and Super Famicom.
http://www.videogameden.com/index.htm

kamowa

October 02, 2018, 07:28:05 pm #9 Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 04:23:46 pm by kamowa
    Here are some of the gems I've come across:

• Akumajō Special: Boku Dracula-kun -I found this game without knowing anything about it.

I believe people have become much more aware of this game since 2003, it is a cross between Castlevaina and Mega Man. Your a kid Dracula fighting ghosts and such.

• Sky Destoryer

Shoot em up game similar to 1942 except it goes for a 3Dish perspective. Set during WWII you fight for the Japanese flying a Zero shooting down American Hellcats and Corsairs

[/list]

scaryice

I think a good first game to get is Wai Wai World, since it's a fun Famicom exclusive, and also it features a lot of characters from other Famicom exclusives so it's like a gateway into the world of FC games.