Famicom do not read games

Started by Earthshaker, October 15, 2018, 10:04:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Earthshaker

Hi guys I recently got a faulty famicom that didn't turn on coz a blown fuse. I replaced and I decided to mod it to get AV.
But the console do not read any game. I alway get a gray screen. Oblviously i cleaned the console cartridge slot with a contact cleaner.
I modded many other consoles, so I know the mod is ok.
Voltage regulator is fine.
Do you have any idea how to fix the console?
Thank you ^_^
七転び八起き

famiac

October 15, 2018, 12:32:14 pm #1 Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 01:07:20 pm by famiac
Your cpu might be shot. If you get a stable picture and no sound then that makes me think it's a cpu problem over a ppu problem.

Maybe the fuse didn't blow quickly enough?

Check other IC's to see if they get really hot. If none do, then you can try checking power on different chips with a voltmeter. You could also check for cold solder joints on the cart slot

Earthshaker

Quote from: famiac on October 15, 2018, 12:32:14 pm
Your cpu might be shot. If you get a stable picture and no sound then that makes me think it's a cpu problem over a ppu problem.

Maybe the fuse didn't blow quickly enough?

Check other IC's to see if they get really hot. If none do, then you can try checking power on different chips with a voltmeter. You could also check for cold solder joints on the cart slot

Thank you for the reply. I realized the CPU gets very hot compared to the PPU.
I thought about the cold joint too, then I resoldered almost all the motherboard joints.. but nothing changed.
If the problem is the CPU, can I find a replacement part easily or is it better to throw away the console?
七転び八起き

famiac

Don't throw it away. Several people would be happy to buy it from you to use as parts.
Some people on the forum sell famicom/NES CPUs. What revision is your CPU?

Earthshaker

Quote from: famiac on October 16, 2018, 12:47:14 am
Don't throw it away. Several people would be happy to buy it from you to use as parts.
Some people on the forum sell famicom/NES CPUs. What revision is your CPU?

The CPU is a RP2A03G . easy to find it?
七転び八起き

P

I don't know for sure but I believe the CPUs are pin-compatible, you probably don't have to worry about revision.

Also have you ruled out other common problems first? Cold joints and faulty voltage regulator aside, electrolytic capacitors and AC adapters also often go bad.

Earthshaker

Quote from: P on October 17, 2018, 04:32:00 pm
I don't know for sure but I believe the CPUs are pin-compatible, you probably don't have to worry about revision.

Also have you ruled out other common problems first? Cold joints and faulty voltage regulator aside, electrolytic capacitors and AC adapters also often go bad.

Yep,  I resoldered every point and tested the Voltage regulator with a multimeter. I didnt check the caps but seem fine. Ac adapter id ok, I use it with other famicom and consoles.
I have to find a cheap CPU >.<
七転び八起き

P

Good, caps goes bad more often than CPUs and are easier to replace. But if the CPU really gets hot to touch it's suspicious.