Just got my first Famicom. Help with this AV Mod

Started by Krmnnghia, October 18, 2018, 11:12:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Krmnnghia

Just came in from Japan and I can't find a picture or reference anywhere telling me how this way of modding it works. Any ideas? I have not powered it on and I am glad I didn't because this looks shady.

Thanks!

jpx72

Check out area on the other side of the main board around PPU if there are any "edits" but I doubt it.
It looks somebody just took standard video and audio output just before the RF part and added a few bits to make the picture ..."acceptable". You shouldn't be worried trying it turning on, but the whole thing is 1) ugly 2)going to be bad video quality. So you can mod it yourself. The existing "mod" is at least removable very easily.

Krmnnghia

Quote from: jpx72 on October 18, 2018, 11:45:17 am
Check out area on the other side of the main board around PPU if there are any "edits" but I doubt it.
It looks somebody just took standard video and audio output just before the RF part and added a few bits to make the picture ..."acceptable". You shouldn't be worried trying it turning on, but the whole thing is 1) ugly 2)going to be bad video quality. So you can mod it yourself. The existing "mod" is at least removable very easily.

Thanks. I picked it up more as a show piece in the collection. I do want it to work so I guess I will just turn it on and see how bad it looks. I may clean it up later on down the road for better picture quality. I wonder if they are modding them this way as it seems a cheap and fast way to say you are selling an AV modded Famicom.

jpx72

I you want it just for a showcase, remove the mod by simply desoldering the two capacitors (or just wiggle them out) and you have clean unmoded machine. The RF output will work.
It might be a mod for a quick and dirty way to sell an "AV" famicom. But the guy should at least use an electricians tape and not a clear office tape. That's horrible...

80sFREAK

While ago we had a hot-glue-boy around. Now there is a proof, that cello-tape-boy exist in this world too :)

P.S. I'm kinda back, by the way.
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

jpx72

Cello-tape-guy is way better than the glue-boy!  
I have seen many cello-tape fans around here where I live, this one at least uses solder, the ones I saw before were just tangling the wires dry ;D

Welcome "kinda" back 80sFREAK!!

Krmnnghia

Well I was able to get it powered up and playing Super Mario Bros! The picture quality is actually nice so that is good. I now have it completely apart in 30 different pieces to clean every bit of it as it is disgusting. Surprising what 30 minutes, soap/hot water, and elbow grease can do. Now to clean up the boards with isopropyl Alcohol, dissect the AV mod tape madness and at least use electrical tape, put it back together and see if she fires up. Then its on to whitening the top.

This is a Xmas gift for my 12yr old son. He is going to be blown away. :D

famiac

Krmnnghia

All back together and every spec of dirt is gone. Man these things can be pretty gross. I don't even think I am going to retrobrite the top. I am happy with it as is but it really needs new controller stickers.

Krmnnghia

Quote from: Dreammary on October 27, 2018, 05:14:56 am
https://retroraiderjapan.weebly.com/store/p159/Famicom_decal_%2F_controller_restoration_kit_V2_-_Brushed_metal_finish.html

I have a set of these decals on my Famicom.

Thanks for the link. Those look good! And that Hudson controller...drool