Famicom AV mod - no output, not sure whats wrong

Started by Ignignort, October 30, 2018, 05:15:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignignort

October 30, 2018, 05:15:04 pm Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 05:52:19 pm by Ignignort
Hi there!!

I've just modded a famicom using this method: http://jpx72web.blogspot.sk/2016/11/famicom-av-mod-new.html

I've stared at everything and I am just not getting any kind of output, can anyone see something obviously wrong here?
I don't have a CRT so can't check RF output sadly and I am led to believe that the Famicom was working fine before it came in to my hands

Images here: https://imgur.com/a/fL7ZMMz

My next steps are to check it with a multimeter.
I also realise I'm not using shielded cable to the rca jack, however I would think that I would still get video signal?

Pikkon

Ignignort

Hi there,

No I haven't.
It has a non shielded wire going from the negative 33uF capacitor directly to the rca connector.

-

I do have some shielded cabling, should I strip the wire and connect shielding to pin 20 of the PPU as suggested in the guide? I would've thought that grounding wouldn't have mattered, just the signal would've been messed up.

80sFREAK

Quote from: Ignignort on October 30, 2018, 09:15:02 pm
No I haven't.
It has a non shielded wire going from the negative 33uF capacitor directly to the rca connector.
Is this some kind of joke?  ???
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

Ignignort

No :(

I'm not great at reading in to electronics and just starting to get in to soldering so I read this very literal.

The negative pin of the 33uF capacitor is your composite video output!

80sFREAK

I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

Pikkon

Connect ground to the av jack and you should really be using flux.

FAMICOM_87

October 31, 2018, 09:32:29 am #7 Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 09:40:08 am by FAMICOM_87
how many famicoms have to be destroyed ?  :fire:  :'(
Just do the mod without desoldering the transistor from the board, cutting or lifting pin 21!!!
Make just the mod adding a new transistor, so you will be able to undo the hole MOD if problem appear. And back the Famicom to the factory state  :gamer:

do the mod  on this manner, by adding little PCB here is example the exact same mod on NOAC famiclone (this peace of junk was with fake A/V ports from the factory)

jpx72

Guys let me know and I take down my instructions if you think it's doing more harm than good.
PM me.

FAMICOM_87

October 31, 2018, 12:41:56 pm #9 Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 01:03:56 pm by FAMICOM_87
there is another way just solder to the power board pins like in this video absolutely save! with all schemes out here, and you can always undo you mod if somethings goes wrong, or you just want to make original again   ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvpKWmA_5pk (there is a bonus in the end of the video  -adding start button on second controller  8) )

Post Merge: October 31, 2018, 12:47:51 pm

Quote from: jpx72 on October 31, 2018, 12:19:20 pm
Guys let me know and I take down my instructions if you think it's doing more harm than good.
PM me.

The thing is that many unskilled people try to do the MOD your way and destroy theirs famicoms,
Just make another guide with only adding parts, and not desoldering anything from the board, and keep this one from experienced users only :)

Ignignort

I figured I would do the polite thing and just say that after using a shielded cable and connecting the ground it works fine.
Thanks.