AV modded Famicom controller issues

Started by Maximillianii, December 31, 2018, 01:09:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximillianii

Hello all! I recently purchased an AV modded Famicom and it worked great for about 10 minutes then controller 1 went wonky. Nothing works on it except the A button, and that functions like the start button. I opened up the Famicom to see if there was anything obvious and, while I wasn't expecting a super professional mod job, I was surprised at how shoddy the job was. Scotch tape to insulate leads... really?! Anyway, I started doing some research and also found that the mod seems unique in that I couldn't find another quite like it. They tapped off the main board at the ribbon that connects the main board to the smaller power supply board. There is a 220 microFarad cap that I assume, from the mods I found online, is the audio out. Next to that is a 100 microFarad cap on the third point from the left, looking at the bottom of the board. There is also a jumper going from the emitter of the transistor to the 2.2k resistor and a 74 ohm resistor in parallel with the 2.2k resistor.  The main board is an HVC CPU 07.

I have no problem with how it was modded (I'm always interested in the how and why of something, and comparing this to the standard AV mods I came across I can't see how this is working compared to those other mods and that bugs me  :-[) , it works and it looks great. I just wonder if this odd mod somehow affected the controller 1. The mic on controller 2 works but I can't check any other functions. This is my first Famicom so I don't have any other controllers to try but I do have a front connecting controller on the way. I also cleaned up the mod job, resoldered the 220 audio cap as it came off while I was messing around inside, and made sure there was nothing touching somewhere it shouldn't. I looked around for quite a while but couldn't find anywhere that described a situation quite like this. Thanks in advance for any and all help!!  ;D :redcart:

80sFREAK

You shouldn't open Famicom, but controller. Clean rubbers and contact pads with isopropyl alcohol first.
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy