Need to Degauss a Television - Advice/Suggestions Desired

Started by PatMan33, March 07, 2019, 06:53:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PatMan33

Hey guys (and sorry that this is somewhat tangentially related to Famicom), I was wondering if anyone here had experience with CRT televisions that need to be degaussed. I have an older television that I am quite fond of, which works fine except that it needs to be zapped. What degaussing tools do you recommend? Are there any specific techniques or can I just get the tool and go to town?

80sFREAK

Replace varistor(a part, which connected in series with degaussing loop).
/thread
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

famiac

Buy a degaussing coil from ebay or somewhere. Bring the coil close to the screen and turn it on. Draw concentric circles as you spiral the coil away from the scren slowly and gently. Then turn the coil off. There are plenty of videos on youtube that demonstrate this. Make sure no cassette tapes or FDS games are nearby, and don't let the coil run too hot ;)

Quote from: 80sFREAK on March 07, 2019, 09:41:30 pm
Replace varistor(a part, which connected in series with degaussing loop).
/thread

Are you sure you understood the question?  ???

80sFREAK

I am sure, that you never saw guts of colour CRT TV  ::)
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

famiac

Quote from: 80sFREAK on March 15, 2019, 09:58:41 pm
I am sure, that you never saw guts of colour CRT TV  ::)

Definitely have. Some monitors don't have built-in degaussing mechanisms. Dude just wants to learn how to do that externally.

Jedi Master Baiter

I have a TV with red tint in the corner problem. I saw this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xboO2JUvtBM

Would a wand work just as good as a coil? eBay link