Mother 1 (or earthbound beginnings)

Started by Famiboi101, March 18, 2019, 04:44:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Famiboi101

March 18, 2019, 04:44:45 pm Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 09:26:05 pm by Famiboi101
So i was just thinking, I actually have not seen anybody talk about the Mother series on this site. So how about we make this a little forum about mother (i know starman.net exists, but yknow.) And we can share our thoughts about the game. So who's with me?

Post Merge: March 18, 2019, 07:43:29 pm

Ok first question. Who is your favourite character from the whole Mother series? Mine is definetly Lucas from Mother 3. Idk why it's just his origin story and his whole deal is awesome. :fire:

Yelir

You know, just call it Mother. This is a Famicom based community after all.  :crazy:

My favorite character is probably Poo or Duster.

Famiboi101

I've always like poo's backstory and he's probably a close third for me. :coin:

P

Yeah Poo is cool. But I like Ninten and Ness, they are almost too similar to distinguish between.
Then there are all the weird characters like the forgotten man, flying man and such. I love all those things.

If you search the forum you will see that there are several threads about the Mother series. And yeah this is Famicom World, we call it Mother. :)

L___E___T

I still think Ninten is Ness - prove me wrong...  :bub:

I haven't played any of the games right through but Ness is a very likeable character IMO.  Same with Poo.  Those Mr.Saturn things are pretty iconic too.  

I do think Mother is a much more appropriate name than Earthbound, but I can understand why Nintendo of America chose to localise it, even if that name (Earthbound) is not a very wise / future-proof name.

I also really like the Dad character actually, these games have a very nice writing style, even if they get pretty conflicted later on and are creatively bizarre.  I suppose that's all part of what makes them cult classics.  I hope to see them all on Switch.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Famiboi101

I definetly agree with you. I like the name Mother for a series better than Earthbound. Idk why i called it earthbound beginnings but i thought more people would know about Earthbound than Mother. Soz :-[

P

March 21, 2019, 06:29:37 am #6 Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 06:35:28 am by P
Yeah Mother might be a bit weird in English since it's such a common word, but it is the title that Itoi picked. Earthbound isn't a bad name either though.

Quote from: L___E___T on March 19, 2019, 11:49:43 am
I still think Ninten is Ness - prove me wrong...  :bub:

Ness discovers most of his powers for the first time in the game and doesn't seem to have any memories of Gyiyg or the happenings of Mother 1. Although he seems to already have the power to speak to animals when the game starts (as you can speak to his dog right away, I get the feeling that he has been able to do it for a long time) and he is also using telepathy to read thoughts. This applies for Ninten and Lucas as well in their respective games (Ninten even has the telepathy PSI at the start of the game).

Personally I believe Ninten and Ana to be Ness' parents or grandparents, and that's where he got his powers from. I also believe Loid is Dr Andonuts or at least blood-related. The affinity for hiding in trash cans have to be running in the family. Ana and Paula are probably unrelated though otherwise Ness and Paula would be blood-related (if Ana really is Ness' mother that is).
But Mother 1 takes place in 1988 while Mother 2 takes place in 199X, so yeah the dates doesn't make sense.

Mr Saturn! Yes that's like the series' mascot! ;D I kind of wish they would appear in Mother 1 as well. At least it got lying monkeys though.

boye

Off topic, but the name of the Mother series is just prime for a "yo mama" joke.
Can't find the FDSLoadr PC program? Get it here. It took me way too long to find.

P

You shouldn't joke about things that are considered holy, like mothers.