AV Famicom color difference compared to NES

Started by R_Leo_1, June 23, 2019, 10:37:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

R_Leo_1

I own both and NES and an AV Famicom and I noticed that the colors on the AV Famicom differ greatly from the ones on NES, to the point that I'm wondering if something is wrong with the AV Famicom. Here's some pictures (NES top AVFAMICOM bottom)

Apologies for the banding on the second image, this isn't noticable in person. So I notice that the white on the AV Famicom is especially dull, but the reds and oranges (The ground and Mario's face) are seemingly more vibrant, which is what is especially confusing to me.

I'm not sure if this occurs normally, or if it's a bad capacitor or something else. Any help on this would be appreciated, and if you need any more info, feel free to ask.

zmaster18

Colors can vary on the Famicom/NES, especially when using Super Mario Bros as the color test. It can also differ depending on the TV. For example, I have a Sony TV where the sky is blue, but on my Samsung the sky is purple...

The way the color looks depends on the transistor and resistors used in the system's video circuit.

FAMICOM_87

PAL - Perfect At Least
NTSC - Never The Same Color
Hahah  ;D

P

Yeah NTSC TVs never follows their own standard.

Isn't both pictures from the same TV though?

R_Leo_1

Thanks for the info guys! Also yes it is the same TV.