Game Boy Pocket replacement Triwing screws?

Started by adori_12, June 08, 2019, 12:41:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

adori_12

June 08, 2019, 12:41:07 pm Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 05:18:21 pm by adori_12
I was disassembling two Game Boy Pockets I have, but I lost the screws that came with those.
So I was just wondering where can I get some GBP screws, since I only found replacement Philips head screws, but given that I need the Triwing ones, and I don't wanna buy a whole system or a replacement kit including new shells and that kind of stuff, I'm just looking for some cheap Triwing screws.
In total, between the two handhelds, I'm missing 9 screws.
De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

P

They are security screws because they are hard to find. Why can't you use philips screws if they are the right size? That way it will be easier to open in the future.

Jedi Master Baiter

Does the GBASP use the same ones? I may have some lying around here. Let's see...

Okay, I only found one. :( And it's worn down. :( But I can go to my local game shop (the owner fixes and cleans retro consoles) and see if they have extras.

adori_12

Quote from: P on June 08, 2019, 01:33:30 pm
They are security screws because they are hard to find. Why can't you use philips screws if they are the right size? That way it will be easier to open in the future.

I want to use Triwing screws to keep my Game Boys as uniform as they can be, especially because I do have some Triwing screws left in the case (that's why I'm missing only 9 screws rather than 6 screws needed per shell = 12 screws), so mixing them up would make disassembling a rather annoying task.
But maybe replacing all of them for Philips screws wouldn't be that bad of an idea, the problem here is that all the sellers I've seen offer only 10 screws packs, so I would have to buy 20 if I wanted to replace them completely. But I still would prefer Triwing screws.
Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster on June 08, 2019, 03:10:54 pm
Does the GBASP use the same ones?

That got me curious, so I have to check that out.
They are Triwing screws indeed, but they are not the same size  :(
The left one is the GBP shell screw, middle is GBA SP shell screw, and right is GBA SP screw below cartridge port (battery screw is a Philips head one). Sorry if picture quality is not that great.
De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

Jedi Master Baiter

Searching on eBay has been frustrating. Either the word 'Pocket' doesn't come up, or the seller ships from China/Hong Kong/Europe, or the minimum is 40:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40-Tri-Wing-Screws-Y-screw-For-Nintendo-Game-Boy-Pocket-Color-DMG-GBP-GBC/123757322609?hash=item1cd082e171:g:0QwAAOSws3pcrlwD

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Schrauben-Game-Boy-Classic-Pocket-Color-Advance-Kreuz-PH00-screw-7-mm/182465050640?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D58655%26meid%3Dccbeec72ee7e4c15964be7e3acd0f690%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D12%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D263385728247%26itm%3D182465050640&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-VITI-TRI-WINGS-Y-GAME-BOY-POCKET-OTTIMO-STATO-RICAMBIO-ORIGINALE-NINTENDO/272021777319?hash=item3f55c2eba7:g:eP4AAOSwo0JWJiBF

Finally!: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Gameboy-Screw-Sets-Pick-Type-DMG01-AGS-01-Gameboy-Advance-Gameboy-Color/202632855952?hash=item2f2ddc0190:m:myO3tG2TajspQy0lcDTOw3Q (it conveniently doesn't tell you how many are actually included though) :-\

adori_12

Huge thanks for your time.The stock image shows 9 GBP screws, the exact same amount I need!  
But there is a huge problem, the seller doesn't ship to my country  :'(
Damn, I guess that's why that item didn't pop up on my eBay searches, and the only one that appears is the 40 screw set from China.
How frustrating indeed, eBay is not an option for me :( Where else can I go?

Jedi Master Baiter

It doesn't hurt to ask the seller if they'd be willing to make an exception. It might also be a good idea to verify if 9 screws are indeed included. Most likely you will just pay more in shipping.

If the seller says 'no' I can buy them and forward it to you, since I'm in California.

adori_12

I'll ask the seller if he can ship directly to me and if it actually includes at least 9 screws, but I also just noticed that he does ship other items to Mexico; I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.
I tried to put a US postal zip code and it still wouldn't calculate actual shipping costs, it just appeared "Contact the seller". If he only ships to the US and he offers a shipping price that actually makes it worthwhile, I'll PM you.
Thanks a lot for helping me out! :star: :) :star:

P

Quote from: adori_12 on June 08, 2019, 05:55:01 pm
Quote from: P on June 08, 2019, 01:33:30 pm

I want to use Triwing screws to keep my Game Boys as uniform as they can be, especially because I do have some Triwing screws left in the case (that's why I'm missing only 9 screws rather than 6 screws needed per shell = 12 screws), so mixing them up would make disassembling a rather annoying task.
But maybe replacing all of them for Philips screws wouldn't be that bad of an idea, the problem here is that all the sellers I've seen offer only 10 screws packs, so I would have to buy 20 if I wanted to replace them completely. But I still would prefer Triwing screws.

That's understandable. Personally I had bad experiences with stock screws deteriorating over time due to hand sweat and whatnot, so I'd replace any screw that looks like it's going bad if I'm able to. And if replacing a screw I might as well use a common type that doesn't need special tools.

adori_12

Yeah, factory screws can be a pain to remove if they're worn down or very rusted, and, even though I haven't stumbled upon that specific case, where the screws are very hard or even impossible to remove normally, replacing them is a good idea for future repairs, but considering I'm not planning to sell my stuff unless I really need to get rid of them, I would prefer just using new screws of the same type the factory first used.
I have a copy of Gyromite with a Famicom converter inside, but the previous owner decided to remove (or probably lost) the original 5 flat head screws and replace them with 3 gamebit screws; leaving two empty screwholes, and I'm not a fan of doing that, I feel like I'm not getting the real thing, like if someone else already did something to the stuff I'm buying, you know?
That may sound dumb, but I just really prefer to keep my stuff as close as possible to how it was back in the day.

P

It doesn't sound dumb. If I buy something sold as unmodded and it has the original screws, that is a good sign that it probably haven't been touched.