Neo Geo Pocket (Color) thread

Started by boye, June 18, 2019, 04:03:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

boye

Does anybody know about or have a Neo Geo Pocket or Neo Geo Pocket Color?
Can't find the FDSLoadr PC program? Get it here. It took me way too long to find.

P

I've been very close to picking up the Color variant when I've seen them in used games stores, but I've decided not to until I know more about what to look for with the system.

An interesting thing about it is that instead of using rubber membrane d-pads like Nintendo does, it actually uses microswitches (like that of real arcade joysticks) with a joystick/d-pad hybrid kind of device. The Neo Geo CD controller has something similar.

From looking at hardware specs, Neo Geo Pocket Color seems to be a bit more powerful than GBC. It seems to have internal memory for saving in games and a real-time clock like all modern consoles after PS2 has.

boye

I don't think the NGPC has built-in save support. IT does have a RTC and a horoscope though!
Can't find the FDSLoadr PC program? Get it here. It took me way too long to find.

schnuth

I've had one and a small collection of carts for years. There's also a couple flash carts available as well. Great little system.

P

Is there any flashcart you recommend?

The internal storage memory is probably just for saving general settings for the RTC, alarm and the like. Games that saves, seems to save on battery-backed RAM or EEPROM on the cartridge after all.

The differences between the NGP and NGPC doesn't seem to be that great (unlike for Game Boy and GBC which got a serious boost in memory and speed). It's mostly just a new color LCD. I'm not sure though because it's hard to find information.
The NGP was only out for two years and had only ten games before the NGPC took over. Most Color games are backwards-compatible with the NGP though.

Protoman

I just want one so I can also get Rockman Battle & Fighters, because I want to have all the Megaman/Rockman games. Other than that I have no interest in NGPC, because as far as I know right now anyway, it mostly has fighting games. I guess Sonic Pocket Adventure and Metal Slug look pretty good too but I can play those kind of games anywhere, plus I don't like the clicking of the stick very much.

Btw the handheld for me is notorious for having the emulator of it named RAPE?. (Rather A Pokemon Emulator?)

boye

Quote from: P on June 19, 2019, 02:40:55 am

Even though I don't have an NGPC, I'd recommend RetroHQ's Neo Geo Pocket SD.

schnuth

Quote from: boye on June 19, 2019, 06:15:43 am
Quote from: P on June 19, 2019, 02:40:55 am

Even though I don't have an NGPC, I'd recommend RetroHQ's Neo Geo Pocket SD.

I second this. The Neo Pocket Flash Masta only holds two games (or one big one) and doesn't take SD cards. But it still works great and is a cheaper alternative to the Pocket SD. Just depends if you want to take the entire NGPC library or just a couple games with you.

Also gameboy modder BennVenn is working on a backlit screen for the NGPC similar to his Gameboy one. Exciting times are ahead.

boye

Quote from: schnuth on June 19, 2019, 10:53:09 am
Also gameboy modder BennVenn is working on a backlit screen for the NGPC similar to his Gameboy one. Exciting times are ahead.

Holy Chack'n! This is amazing!

Yelir

I think you can't be considered a real portable fan without at least an NGPC! :-[

I have the slim neon NGPC and a random group of games. Match of the Millennium, Sonic Pocket Adventure, and Shanghai are my top picks to take on a road trip. I had a 32-in-1 multicart and hate myself for ever parting with it. I remember one of the flash carts was always sold out when I checked online, have things changed?

I thought I could deal with the emulation but it's terrible, so owning a system is a must!