Famicom rf switch

Started by pxlbluejay, July 27, 2019, 12:17:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pxlbluejay

The top of my Famicom's original rf switch is completely missing. The pin that's supposed to be sticking out? Nup. Not there. I can see a tiny hole in the white stuff that's supposed to be surrounding the pin, but I guess that doesn't help... I've heard that users who wanted to use different, you know, plugs that go into your tv other than the bare cable,they were expected to strip the cables themselves. Will stripping mine result in a nice, new pin sticking out, or do you think nothing will come out until there is no cable left? What should I do?
Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda. The NES and the Famicom themselves. These are well known after more than 30 years after their releases. I highly doubt that Fortnite, PUBG, or any other modern-day game will be as well known in 2050.

FAMICOM_87

pxlbluejay

Sure!
But I can't seem to figure out how to post a pic here on a smartphone... It'll take me a few days to get back to where I left my laptop.
Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda. The NES and the Famicom themselves. These are well known after more than 30 years after their releases. I highly doubt that Fortnite, PUBG, or any other modern-day game will be as well known in 2050.

conrat4567

Do you mean the actual port for the cable or the switch that switches RF channels? If its the port then you may be able to replace it with an RCA module but I would have to open mine to double check. If its the channel switch then I'm sure you can replace the plastic nub.
Famicom and get some!

pxlbluejay

Oh
it's the plug and the antenna pin that goes into the tv.

conrat4567

So the green circled part of the image attached? If so, with a bit of soldering you can probably fit another one by finding a replacement but I would suggest getting it modded to output AV as this produces a much nicer image.
Famicom and get some!

pxlbluejay

July 31, 2019, 05:50:24 pm #6 Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 06:36:30 am by pxlbluejay
Actually, no. Gimme a few minutes and I'll  post a pic.

Post Merge: August 01, 2019, 06:36:29 am

There.

Great Hierophant

Strip it down past the white part about 1/4", then you should see the solid wire. You'll need to put a coax adapter on it.  Use the webby wire around the plastic part as your ground. 
Check out my retro gaming and computing blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

pxlbluejay

conrat4567

Wow never seen that box before lol. I assume its similar to how the atari box works? Looks overkill though lol
Famicom and get some!

UglyJoe

You're really best off grabbing an NES rf adapter (or similar).  Those original FC ones are all sorts of strange ;D

Great Hierophant

The Famicom RF box makes a lot more sense once you understand how TVs were wired in Japan at that time.  Many Japanese TVs had a screw and bracket connector.   You used stripped coax cable, fish hooked the solid-core wire around the screw and laid the bracket over the ground mesh wires and tightened both connections.  This connection is otherwise identical to our screw-type coaxial connectors (75 ohm impedance).  There is a screw and bracket connector on the RF Famicom box to switch between the Famicom and another video source like the cable box or a VCR. 

This being the early 1980s, many Japanese TVs would be the older type that only accepted twin-screw TV antenna leads for the VHF antennas ("rabbit ears") and another set of screws for a UHF antenna ("the big circle").  These antennas connected to the TV with twin-leads 300 Ohm impedance.  The Famicom RF box has a pair of screws for this type of input for a VHF antenna. 

Inside the Famicom RF box you should find a balun, an iron ring with wire wrapped around it.  The balun allows the twin lead to be used with coaxial connectors.
Check out my retro gaming and computing blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

conrat4567

Interesting. Still lots I don't know lol UK was always simple growing up. RCA all the way, well that and using the ariel port on my TV for my PS1 back in the day
Famicom and get some!

pxlbluejay

August 06, 2019, 09:43:17 pm #13 Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 07:51:01 am by pxlbluejay
I'm currently trying to strip it with a wine opener(the knife part) and boy, the thing is stiff...

Post Merge: August 07, 2019, 07:51:01 am

I finally got it out!
Now time for more sawing to get more of the wire out!
Shouldn't take more than an hour! ;D