Bad Game Contacts

Started by Jedi Master Baiter, October 06, 2019, 02:56:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jedi Master Baiter

I bought this game a long time ago just to have a copy (I already played it before). I decided to open it up to clean it and saw something I've never seen before in my entire life.

What happened to my NES game?!

krzy

Where were you keeping it? In the bathroom?

Jedi Master Baiter

Yes, it was my nail filer. It also doubled as a door stopper.

famiac

fiberglass pen and a respirator and scrub away

Jedi Master Baiter

Won't that scratch the contacts? They're already badly damaged from me trying to scrape off all these dried up diarrhea splotches from whoever last wiped their ass with it.

Wouldn't it just be easier to remove the pins and put new ones on? ??? Or desolder the ROMs and find a new board?

xIceMan

I've had some boards like this, too. Moist can be very awful. I usually just try clean them with polishing cloth and then use q-tips afterwards. Got all games running with that method.

80sFREAK

QuoteWon't that scratch the contacts?

I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

MWK

Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster on October 06, 2019, 07:50:59 pm

HAHA ;D

I'd sandpaper the hell out of it and after cleaning with ISO put a new coating with electroless tin plating.

FAMICOM_87

That's why, children, you never blow in to a cartridges  ;D  :redcart:
Here what I fixed for game boy advance it was bad corrosion and 2 traces destroyed

Jedi Master Baiter

This all seems like too much work/time for me. Does anyone want a free game?

P

Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster on October 06, 2019, 09:23:14 pm
Won't that scratch the contacts?

That's the point, scrape off the oxidation. It's not like you can turn it back into copper again anyway.

QuoteWouldn't it just be easier to remove the pins and put new ones on? ??? Or desolder the ROMs and find a new board?

I don't think you can replace the pins manually, and desoldering is a lot of work. The fastest way is to just scrub the pins with something abrasive, clean them and see if it works.

Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster on October 06, 2019, 07:50:59 pm

;D

Jedi Master Baiter

I'd still rather not do this myself. So the offer's still up: anyone want a free game? I'll even pay shipping (but you'll have to deal with the handling :bomb:).

FAMICOM_87

you did not say what is the name of the game :)?

krzy

1. Cut out the broken connector

2. Remove soldermask from non-exposed part of pins using sandpaper or scotch brite

3. Make/order a piece of PCB with 2.5" pads on both sides

4. Solder it to the rest of board

Here is how I fixed 60 pin cartridge with 2 lifted pad that way:

Jedi Master Baiter