Cleaning Twin Famicom cardboard box, mold.

Started by Miklo, October 08, 2019, 03:07:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Miklo

October 08, 2019, 03:07:12 pm Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 06:43:48 pm by Miklo
I recently purchased a red Twin Famicom recently from Japan in the box.

It was a great deal, in fantastic shape. I could not pass it up.

The box is in good shape however, it has the heavy smell of mold when opened.

I also noticed some minor black mold staining as well in the opening folds.

Possible that the mold has made its way into the Styrofoam too, who knows? Its stanky too.

I'm looking on a few opinions and ideas on maybe cleaning it and neutralizing the mold without damaging the delicate old cardboard and or Styrofoam?

Any help or ideas would be much appeciated!
I'm also into vintage air-cooled Volkswagens, vintage audio, reel to reel and vinyl record albums. 30+yrs<br />Get to know the man behind the screen - https://www.instagram.com/miklo_82/

boye

You're SOL. There is no cleaning method that i know of that won't destroy the cardboard.
Can't find the FDSLoadr PC program? Get it here. It took me way too long to find.

Miklo

Brutal honesty, I like it. But I shall not give up so easily!

I may try a light/mild mold/bacteria cleaner on a lightly damp cloth and run it quickly over a small spot under the main flap in the box.

I think as long as I don't soak it or use harsh chemicals I may be ok... I'm careful and don't want to ruin an original 500R box.

I live in a very dry desert in southern California. I'll keep it opened up and let it air out. Weather is nothing like dank, damp Japan.

I don't plan on keeping it tucked away it will breathe the light of day again! Hopefully it will keep the mold and smell at bay.

I'll post some pictures of the jobby once I tackle the task... That's, if I don't take a mold spore to the brain.

Any other ideas or opinions, i'm down. Let's hear em!

I'm also into vintage air-cooled Volkswagens, vintage audio, reel to reel and vinyl record albums. 30+yrs<br />Get to know the man behind the screen - https://www.instagram.com/miklo_82/