FC Twin Can't Get FDS to work

Started by that1crzywhtguy, October 11, 2019, 03:07:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

that1crzywhtguy

Hey there everyone, hopefully someone can assist me.

I swapped a belt on this FC twin like I've done many times. I thoroughly cleaned the whole path, used a high quality replacement belt that I've used many times before, cleaned up the head, and I aligned the spindle hub.

Keep getting error messages. I've tried to realign over and over. Occasionally a game will boot, but I can't get past the next load before another error. I mostly get err. 23 and 22, but sometimes 21 and 27.

I'm going crazy here. Am I missing something?

80sFREAK

Did you lubricated drive well?  ???

In your case i would pay attention to the surface of the head and pad, which pushing disk to the head. If you can read same disks 100% times on another drives, this is 99%, where things might go wrong. The rest 1% is electronics(playback amplifier/comparator).
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

that1crzywhtguy

Yup, I lubricated it and things seem to move smoothly. What am I looking for on the head and that pad? I did clean the head well and it appears to be fine. The pad doesn't look damaged or anything. What else am I looking for?

maffatil

Don't know if you got it fixed or not, but it sounds like a calibration issue: https://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=7142.0

boye

Yeah, this is a slam-dunk case of a misaligned drive. I would recommend you follow this guide: https://www.famicomdisksystem.com/tutorials/fds-repair-mod/belt-replacement-adjustment/ (Look at the Troubleshooting section.)
Can't find the FDSLoadr PC program? Get it here. It took me way too long to find.

that1crzywhtguy

I eventually gave up on that one. I aligned many drives successfully, but no matter how many times I tried it, that one just wouldn't work.

I literally did 3 others after that one, all fine, tried that one again a bunch of times, and bupkiss. 🤷‍♂️