Need help organizing Fighting Game Pirates

Started by UglyJoe, May 08, 2010, 07:45:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fcgamer

Another few comments on the current list, though I imagine that they will probably go unanswered as well.  Does anyone know if all of these games were released as singles, or were some only available on multicarts? I have literally about half of the above list of games, as single carts, and although I originally didn't think that I was going to try to collect all of these hacks, with owning so many of them to begin with, I figure I might as well just get the rest.  So I wonder if any were only found on multicarts or not?

Also, the above list is incomplete.  I own a few which do not appear on the list.  I will need to go back through my master list and crosscheck with yours, so yours can be updated.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

prince tomato

i'd love to see that (completed) list with the entire family tree of the originals and their hacks in chronological order.
next list: the unlicensed original beat 'm ups!
;)

M-Tee

Unless I'm misunderstanding, the classification between pirate and unlicensed is the unauthorized use of material under copyright, right? This is why Wisdom Tree games would be considered unlicensed, but not pirates. If that's the case, I believe The General's Son would be classified as  unlicensed and not pirate because it was an original game developed as a licensed tie-in to the film of the same name. source

UglyJoe

Quote from: M-Tee on December 10, 2014, 05:17:04 am
Unless I'm misunderstanding, the classification between pirate and unlicensed is the unauthorized use of material under copyright, right? This is why Wisdom Tree games would be considered unlicensed, but not pirates. If that's the case, I believe The General's Son would be classified as  unlicensed and not pirate because it was an original game developed as a licensed tie-in to the film of the same name. source

For the sake of this thread, the definitions aren't that important.  The aim was to gather a list of fighting games for the Famicom (99% of which are not licensed games) and determine which are original games and which are hacks of the original games.

Regardless, the definitions of "pirate" and "unlicensed" are kind of subjective.  The official FW stance (that is, how the FW website defines them, not how the forum in general defines them) are (to paraphrase a post by JC from 2009):

Licensed -- the obvious one.

Unlicensed -- games with original gameplay when compared with licensed games, even if the game borrows some graphics from licensed games.

Hacks -- games with the same gameplay as a licensed game, only the graphics are hacked, either basically or extensively. I usually refer to hacks as basic hacks -- title screen, main character -- or extensive hacks -- more than just the title screen, main character.

Pirates -- games that are the exact copy of licensed games, except perhaps the removal of the copyright or an altered title screen.

M-Tee

Gotcha.

By the way, what's Pearl? It caught my eye on the list, but my Google Fu has apparently failed me.

prince tomato

another game that deserves a spot on this list is
"Ye Ming Zhu" a.k.a Night Pearl by Wai Xing.
(if it isn't on there by now)
and Dream Fighter by Asder/NTDEC.

UglyJoe

Dream Fighter is already on there.

We have Pearl on there, which according to the older thread referenced in the first post is apparently the same game.  The title screen doesn't have the world "Night" on it anywhere (in English).

prince tomato

fcgamer

Quote from: UglyJoe on April 12, 2015, 11:28:09 am
Dream Fighter is already on there.

We have Pearl on there, which according to the older thread referenced in the first post is apparently the same game.  The title screen doesn't have the world "Night" on it anywhere (in English).

It should be listed as Night Pearl, or as ye mingzhu (夜明珠).  Ye = night, mingzhu = pearl, just like the same "ye" in "yeshi" (夜市), night market.  To list the game as Pearl is simply wrong. 
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

famicom guy