New Famicom Shells (Available Now)

Started by muramasa, October 23, 2019, 03:29:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

muramasa

October 23, 2019, 03:29:09 pm Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 01:09:11 pm by muramasa
Famicom shells are finally available! The shells are inspired by the shells commonly used by Koei games. We picked this style for a couple of reasons. First is the shell is secured together with four screws. One of the big challenges with making any Famicom games is dealing with the snaps that hold the shell together. The second reason is the design gives plenty of room for various DIY board designs. We don't yet have a date for release, but are hoping to be producing these before the end of the year.

You can find them here.

What good would shells be without PCBs? Pcbs can be found here.

L___E___T

Great update to read through - I think the MMC5 shell design is the right choice.  Are you making these in any colours other than grey?  Or is that Black in a lightbox?! :bub:
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

muramasa

Quote from: L___E___T on October 24, 2019, 09:50:28 am
Great update to read through - I think the MMC5 shell design is the right choice.  Are you making these in any colours other than grey?  Or is that Black in a lightbox?! :bub:

The sample is actually black. I definitely struggled on the lighting on this, and just gave up so I could get the picture taken. I'm planning to do Red, Blue, Grey, Black, White, and maybe Green. For the initial batch.

80sFREAK

And what about price? Both shells and PCBs.
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

muramasa

Quote from: 80sFREAK on October 24, 2019, 10:43:55 pm
And what about price? Both shells and PCBs.

I still haven't finalized prices on shells. PCBs will be similar to the NES counterparts on my site. www.muramasaentertainment.com

FAMICOM_87

cool ! and you products are with very attractive prices :)  :coin:

L___E___T

Me too - looking to pick up a shell if you are likely to get any other colours?
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

muramasa

Quick update. After a lot of trouble I finally have color samples in hand.

P

It's great that we can finally have Famicom versions of repro cartridges. I'm mainly interested in NROM (most useful for basic programs and games) and SxROM with battery (most useful for most types of games) or possibly TxROM. A repro MMC5 with expansion audio would also be great if we could have that one day.

I see you are using AX5904 MMC1 clones and AX5202P MMC3 clones. Are these new old stock or something?

muramasa

Quote from: P on April 04, 2020, 08:08:56 amIt's great that we can finally have Famicom versions of repro cartridges. I'm mainly interested in NROM (most useful for basic programs and games) and SxROM with battery (most useful for most types of games) or possibly TxROM. A repro MMC5 with expansion audio would also be great if we could have that one day.

I see you are using AX5904 MMC1 clones and AX5202P MMC3 clones. Are these new old stock or something?

Yes the AX5904 and AX5202 are new old stock. Eventually I would like to do an implementation in a CPLD.

L___E___T

I'm mainly interested in MMC5 and some MMC3.  I don't know if the shell can accommodate both popular PCB designs.

The colours look great - how close is the red / maroon to the Famicom famous colour?

Favourites in order for me, would be:

- purple
- maroon
- gray
- blue
- yellow
- pink
- green (would rather it was a bit darker like Zelda 1 boxart if I'm being picky)

Really looking forward to when these are available.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

muramasa

Quote from: L___E___T on April 06, 2020, 09:01:52 amI'm mainly interested in MMC5 and some MMC3.  I don't know if the shell can accommodate both popular PCB designs.

Not sure when a MMC5 board will be availble. It's outside of my skill range at the moment.

Quote from: L___E___T on April 06, 2020, 09:01:52 amThe colours look great - how close is the red / maroon to the Famicom famous colour?

Favourites in order for me, would be:

- purple
- maroon
- gray
- blue
- yellow
- pink
- green (would rather it was a bit darker like Zelda 1 boxart if I'm being picky)

Really looking forward to when these are available.
Yeah I asked them to match the famicom red, and I think it worked out pretty well. I went back and forth between doing a forest green like the first zelda cart, and a Luigi green. I ended up going with the luigi green for this first one, but if things go well I hope to add more colors.

L___E___T

All colours look great to be fair - I'm surprised you have all these options!
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

muramasa

Got some the first color samples of actual shells and took some quick pictures.