October 28, 2021, 01:02:22 pm

MVS Neo Geo for $30 shipped!

Started by jpx72, January 03, 2020, 04:07:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jpx72

January 03, 2020, 04:07:07 am Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 04:19:12 am by jpx72
I wanted to share my experience with getting a MVS Neo Geo board.
Some time ago, what seemed original SNK Japanese MVS boards started to pop up on Aliexpres and eBay. First, I thought those are some chinese replicas, bootlegs of some sort, because I bought originals before and those were quite pricey, even "untested" and "nonworking" were at least 60 - 80$.
But time had come that the price on Aliexpres' Black friday went down to 30USD with free shipping!!
So I thought, a good price even for a bootleg. So I bought it.
As it goes, it came just last week cause of the economy shipping.
To my surprise, it was an ORIGINAL! Real old board, "Made in Japan" 1995. It is obvious from the look of it, heavily scratched, battery was not leaking but it was really near that, and the cart connector was dirty, nothing what "magic breath" wouldn't solve ;)
It worked at first test, I quickly removed the battery (it's not needed to work), and I have a working MVS neo Geo arcade machine for 30 USD!

https://a.aliexpress.com/LdJUV5ao

So what do I recommend?
BUY! I recommend this seller, cause you can communicate quite well in english with him.

But beware, you might easily get a non working board. Eighter the board might be scratched and the tiny traces might be cut. Or the battery will be leaked and the board will be damaged beyond repair. Or there might be any other problem caused by the age and heavy use of these boards.
I really don't know where those chinese got these in such quantities. And don't expect they will be testing them all. Or at all. Maybe you will get a refund, maybe not.
But in the worst scenario, you will loose 30 USD. In any other, you will get an authentic Neo Geo arcade board, now you only need a game cartridge  ;D but that's another story!

P

Cheap genuine (but in poor shape) arcade boards seems to be more common nowdays.

I've been thinking of getting/building a supergun (a cabinet takes way too much space and is out of the question) someday and Neo Geo MVS is one of the more attractive boards. The Minigun seems to be a good candidate for a safe and relatively cheap supergun, plus it's open source.

jpx72

For me, connecting an arcade board to the screen and buttons (aka building a "supergun"), is the most fun part.
But having something like this MiniGun looks nice, if you will be making multiple PCBs from those free gerbers, I'll gladly take one from you (pcbway.com should make them really cheap).

If you know about other cheap arcade boards, please share links! I am always on the hunt for some nice arcades!

L___E___T

Does anyone know a good cheap, and most importantly small Supergun I can buy off the e-shelf?  Finally getting my own Neo Geo set up and running after wanting one for so long in the 90s was quite rewarding actually.

A while back I got a nice clean MVS with some premium extras, and invested in a HAS Supergun too - but it's very big and bulky (it's in an enclosure) and I'd quite like something small and convenient for quick testing etc.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

P

January 08, 2020, 05:40:51 pm #4 Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 05:52:10 pm by P
I don't think there is any cheap throw-away supergun that are still safe. The Minigun is probably the cheapest and smallest you can get that isn't dangerous to video and audio equipment (like a Framemeister, OSSC, SCART-switch and possibly modern TVs). A cheaper alternative might be a dedicated supergun for Neo Geo (or whatever board you want to test), but that of course wouldn't be working with anything else, so I'm not sure you'd want that if you already invested in a HAS.

Thanks for the link jpx72! I'm quite busy now, but I might try building a Minigun later, I will tell you if/when I do. I had fun building my own joystick anyway:
Spoiler
[close]

Here's a cardboard box 3-button joystick prototype. ;D
It's a Seimitsu LS-32-1 joystick with a red knockoff balltop (all I could find at the time) and Sanwa buttons (OBSF-30, they only had snap-in buttons at the time). I plan to build it, probably in wood, adding more buttons (totalling 8 buttons excluding START and SELECT) and build PCBs for it so it can be used on a Famicom, NES, Super Famicom, PC Engine, IBM-PC (Mame), Superguns (DA-15 Neo-Geo/Undamned pinout) and so on. But I couldn't get buttons in all the colours I want so I built a 3-button prototype first. I initially built it for a personal project I've been planning for a long time, but I thought I might as well make it work with other 2D systems I have.

The project is a custom 8-bit computer/console/arcade, and using arcade parts was the easiest way to build a custom input device with quality parts. In fact Sanwa and Seimitsu arcade buttons and joysticks are both cheaper and better than any general-use buttons I could find in electronic parts stores. Only downside is that the controller gets quite big if standard arcade sizes (30 mm button holes) are used.