Disk drive felt pad replacement?

Started by severthesestrings, February 02, 2020, 09:35:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

severthesestrings

My felt pad is pretty gross looking and I want to replace it. But no one seems to carry a replacement.

I've been searching amazon and google for awhile and haven't been able to find something suitable. The pad is 3mm diameter and about 3mm thick with the adhesive backing. I say "about" because it's been obviously compressed, mine is compressed to just above 2mm. So I figure that might be originally 3mm uncompressed.
I obviously won't find adhesive pads that small and figured I would have to cut one from a larger sheet with a hollow hole punch.
But Allot of the felts I could find were very thin, around 1mm, the ones I found that were around 3mm were very hard felt used for putting on furniture feet. While these are already adhesive backed, I wouldn't trust those on my disks. or should I? Does anybody know how hard felt compares to a soft felt in terms of abrasiveness? I obviously don't want a poorly choiced felt to scratch up my disks, or to remove the protective surface coatings.

Does anyone have any experience with replacing this pad? Is their an ideal felt type for this? such as material (wool or synthetics) and softness? what about microfiber alternatives?

Surely one of you guys must know something.