Broken fds?

Started by 0078265317, March 01, 2020, 06:50:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

So I asked on atariage also.  Looks like the infamous broken belt issue.  I saw a video of a good unit with moving head.  Mine does not move.  So probably the belt.

So where to get a new belt?

One of the nice guys at atariage sent me a new clear belt.  I replaced it.  It was tricky. Not all parts moved freely or came out.  But I did it.  Now after replacing the belt I finally get the ram to timeout.  Error 27.

boye

That's slightly better. IS the disk OK?
Can't find the FDSLoadr PC program? Get it here. It took me way too long to find.

Quote from: boye on March 16, 2020, 01:15:17 pmThat's slightly better. IS the disk OK?

Not sure it was from ebay.  But it looks good. 

I got it fixed thanks for all your help. I am so excited.  Cannot believe it.  I tried everything.  Cleaning etc no go.  Then I found this video.  Tried several times and no good.  Today with my screw driver just now I finally found the sweet spot and now it works.  So thanks.

https://youtu.be/jSYzMlNBVqQ

P

So you adjust the screw until it gets in between error 21 and error 27, then you fine-tune it testing as many disks as possible until all disks works. OK I'm putting that in my notes.

I also see in my notes now that the FDS BIOS never times out no matter how long the motor spins (in other words your RAM Adapter wasn't acting up). There is a switch that flips when the head moves away from center, so that it knows where the start position is. But there is a glitch where the switch is never flipped and the disk will spin forever while showing a black screen. It may happen due to a broken belt like in your case, but also just due to bad pins.

Well at least it works now so thanks.  Now just need to find a good price on doki doki panic.  Cheapest on ebay is 24 dollars.  12 +12 shipping.

And the fds also works on my yobo fc twin.

After the screw driver trick golf / volleyball works now.  But doki doki panic arrived today.  It errors 27 and 22.  After adjusting again today it works.  But only side A loads.  Side B errors 27.  No screw adjustment helps.

I got zelda 1 on wednesday.  After tuning the motor screw it was fine.  1 save file at first error 27 but second try all good. 

Then I played zelda 1 a for a little while.  Beat level 1.  Saved it.  Then turned it off.  Then 1 hour later went back to play again and it errored 27 no load side A.

I opened her up and did the screw adjustment again.  At least volleyball and golf always load.  And side A doki doki panic.  But no luck on zelda 1 now.

Something wrong for sure.  I will just ebay it probably for parts and get another fully tested unit.

P

Dokidoki and Zelda could just have corrupted though, you might want to test them on another drive as well if possible.

Quote from: P on April 10, 2020, 01:23:17 amDokidoki and Zelda could just have corrupted though, you might want to test them on another drive as well if possible.

I dont have another drive.  And the seller of doki doki panic said he tested both sides before sending.