[WTB] Decent quality Famiclone

Started by R_Leo_1, March 30, 2020, 06:20:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

R_Leo_1

Hello all, I'm looking for an NTSC Famiclone that preferably doesn't use NOAC technology, so one of the older ones for sure. I tried to find examples of systems similar to what I would be looking for, systems like the Micro Genius IQ-201, IQ-301, and IQ-701. I would prefer if it came with the power supply, however if it doesn't that's alright as long as I can find out what proper replacement could be used. I would also prefer a Famiclone with non-hardwired controllers, but this is not a strict requirement. If anyone has anything of this nature that they would like to sell, just drop a reply, I would really appreciate it. Thank you :)

MasterDisk

March 31, 2020, 12:29:31 pm #1 Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 12:43:05 pm by MasterDisk
IQ-201? Maybe 98% of the units on the market are PAL, literally. Do you really want that?
There are a lot of old clones that are just completly overlooked due to simply copying the original Famicom design. You can see (and buy) a few here, for example. They're mostly hardwired, yes but some have an extremly long cord so you won't mind it.

Also you might want to distinguish old and new NoAC. Some NoAC clones don't have the duty cycle glitch and have higher compatibility to their discrete-chipped counter parts. Some discrete-chipped clone suffer from other bug such as completly broken DPCM samples. See this video with Klax for example. At 0:27, you can hear how Klax sounds on some discrete chipped clones (note the loud buzzing due to evident coupling of the video or power in the audio output). No fancy bass, no sampled voice, weird percutions.  At 1:30 you can hear how Klax should be, on an AV Famicom (or any proper clone, such as old NoAC or some chipped).

Anyway, people tend to jump on old Micro Genius because they read everywhere they're the best. Well, it's not so true.

R_Leo_1

I was worried that most would be PAL, I wouldn't have an issue with that if I had equipment to use PAL machines, but unfortunately I live in the US, and I don't believe I could mod them to support NTSC signals.

And with regards to the link, I had actually looked through these a while ago and was interested in a few, but I'm just not sure if they were NTSC or not. I guess I should as the seller about that  ;D 

MasterDisk

Fcgamer's consoles are very likely NTSC due to its location.

R_Leo_1

Ahh I didn't know there were NOAC units without the duty-cycle bug, I'll definitely consider those as an option then. Also that DPCM bug is a surprise too, I guess I wasn't too familiar with Famiclone hardware since I haven't owned one before, I think I just thought discrete chips = better lol. I really appreciate the info, this will be really useful from here on out.

ck

Micro Genius IQ-201,IQ-301和IQ-701  We have a lot of these for sale .I'm from China.

MasterDisk

If they're from China they are PAL then?

ID415

Quote from: ck on April 07, 2020, 03:49:13 amMicro Genius IQ-201,IQ-301和IQ-701  We have a lot of these for sale .I'm from China.

Is it possible for me to buy one of these, if so I'd be very interested. No problems if you cannot.