My Famicom won't do anything!

Started by Coughdrop, May 28, 2020, 12:23:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Coughdrop

May 28, 2020, 12:23:40 pm Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 12:52:15 pm by Coughdrop
Hi! i have recently obtained a Famicom but when i try to tune it to my TV nothing happens, at first i thought this was to do with my PAL tv not picking up the signals but after trying on a few TV's i came to the conclusion that that was most likely not the case

i opened it up and grabbed my multimeter and after a little bit of measuring.. i made the discovery that there's no power going to the main board (the controller ports weren't outputting 5v) . No power is coming from VCC on the ribbon connector. i tried measuring the 7805 Voltage regulator which is taking in 14 volts it seems.. from a Model 1 Mega Drive 10V Power supply and neatly outputting 5v. so i'm kind of at a loss now. do i just solder the 5v pin from the 7805 to the main boards VCC input? is there something else that might be amiss?  :'(

xIceMan

Famicom's can't be connected easily to PAL TVs via RF because the frequency is completely different. You will have to AV mod it or better or buy AV Famicom/Sharp Twin Famicom, etc..

However, if the 7805 is outputting 5V but the ribbon cable is defective, you will probably want to fix it.

Coughdrop

Quote from: xIceMan on May 28, 2020, 12:55:22 pmFamicom's can't be connected easily to PAL TVs via RF because the frequency is completely different. You will have to AV mod it or better or buy AV Famicom/Sharp Twin Famicom, etc..

However, if the 7805 is outputting 5V but the ribbon cable is defective, you will probably want to fix it.

it's the point on the board itself i meant, the ribbon's solder points all make contact, it's the actual point that it connects to that doesn't have any voltage running across it.

and i'm pretty sure i can't tune it perfectly but i should be able to get at least B/W video or just audio, i wanted to AV mod it but before i do that i kinda wanna see it working first so i don't mod something that's broken.

P

Don't be so sure that you can get even black & white picture or audio on a PAL TV via RF. But you should be able to get audio from an FM radio.

It sounds like you know the problem already, the solder point has lost its ability to be soldered on. I'm no expert but I would try soldering a wire to a different, known +5V point, and make sure that all traces leading to this point are also connected to a working +5V point.

Schematic:
http://nesdev.com/Ntd_8bit.jpg

Coughdrop

Quote from: P on May 30, 2020, 02:47:15 amDon't be so sure that you can get even black & white picture or audio on a PAL TV via RF. But you should be able to get audio from an FM radio.

It sounds like you know the problem already, the solder point has lost its ability to be soldered on. I'm no expert but I would try soldering a wire to a different, known +5V point, and make sure that all traces leading to this point are also connected to a working +5V point.

Schematic:
http://nesdev.com/Ntd_8bit.jpg

Thank you for the schematic!! and yeah i kinda just wanna solder the right eg of the resistor to VCC on the small board side of the ribbon connector. i'm just kinda scares that that my multimeter sometimes saying 5.1 instead of 5.0 would somehow blow it up somewhere idk if it needs to be regulated further, i really don't wanna mess this up lol.