April 29, 2024, 06:28:48 am

USB 2.0

Started by FamicomFreak, November 01, 2007, 10:08:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FamicomFreak

Can anyone tell me how to convert my USB 1.1 to USB 2.0? Do I need an adapter? How much is it? Thanks in advance
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

UglyJoe

I'm assuming you mean the USB ports on your computer, not the ones on the device.

You can't "convert" the ports to 2.0, you have to replace them or add additional ports.  If you're using a desktop and have a free PCI slot, you can buy a USB2 card for cheap and put it in your computer.  Newegg has a bunch of them, although I'd avoid the super super cheap ones (check the user reviews!).

If you have a laptop, you can get a USB2 card for it.  Again, check newegg.  Make sure you know what kind of card slot your laptop has, though.

FamicomFreak

Quote from: UglyJoe on November 01, 2007, 10:32:44 am
I'm assuming you mean the USB ports on your computer, not the ones on the device.

You can't "convert" the ports to 2.0, you have to replace them or add additional ports.  If you're using a desktop and have a free PCI slot, you can buy a USB2 card for cheap and put it in your computer.  Newegg has a bunch of them, although I'd avoid the super super cheap ones (check the user reviews!).

If you have a laptop, you can get a USB2 card for it.  Again, check newegg.  Make sure you know what kind of card slot your laptop has, though.

Thanks a lot I will check newegg for the PCI slot one and yeah the reviews do help a lot since they helped me decide on my external HD purchase. Transfering files with USB 1.1 is a pain in the neck that's why I need 2.0 asap!
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com