Fake or modified?

Started by inabityo, September 03, 2020, 08:49:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

inabityo

I have recently picked up a famicon with disk drive for cheap in HK. Its missing a power lead so I am unsure if it is working or not yet.
Upon further inspection, it seems a little odd - maybe a knock off? It has custom wiring and the case is more yellow than I believe it should be (including the inside, under the eject button etc). Joypad one also has a joystick attached to the D-Pad. The mainboard is printed with Nintendo, however the AV board doesn't appear to be the original.
Does anyone know what modifications have been done to it? or if it is indeed a real Famicon.
All other markings appear correct!

P

It's probably a genuine Famicom imported to Hong Kong and modified for PAL. The power/AV board is replaced by the "Family Game" or "Makko Toys" board which is very common in Hong Kong.

The d-pad joystick is interesting. It's also not made by Nintendo AFAIK.

inabityo

Quote from: P on September 04, 2020, 07:04:10 amIt's probably a genuine Famicom imported to Hong Kong and modified for PAL. The power/AV board is replaced by the "Family Game" or "Makko Toys" board which is very common in Hong Kong.

The d-pad joystick is interesting. It's also not made by Nintendo AFAIK.

Yeah it's weird. I wondered if it had been glued on? Doesn't look like it? Maybe it was some kind of purposeful modification? Not sure.

P

It's not just a swapped d-pad for the joystick one?

inabityo

Probably! Seems like am odd mod, the previous owner didn't seem that kinda guy - who knows   :bub: