Famicom RGB Mod Retro Tink comparison

Started by saimen10, September 10, 2020, 02:06:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

saimen10

Hello everyone,

I would be interested in a comparison of the picture quality of a RGB modded Famicom and a "standard" AV modded Famicom connected to Retro Tink. Can somebody provide some pictures or thoughts?

I have got AV modded Famicoms and Retro Tink so I wonder if the huge price tag of a RGB modded Famicom is really worth the difference. I never saw the picture of a RGB modded Famicom myself, but I think a AV modded Famicom with Retro Tink is actually a huge improvement.

Thanks,
saimen10

theoakwoody

Personally I just love how much the rgb makes the colors pop.  I never knew the blue moblins in Zelda had red eyes until I did the mod and it blew me away.  Composite will always look a lot more dull even if the retrotink does make it look slightly sharper you won't come anywhere close to the detail in rgb.  I'll try to do the comparison for you tonight if I have time between the two.

saimen10

Hello everyone,

meanwhile I bought a RGB modded Famicom. Wanted to share some photos, comparing RGB via OSSC and AV via RetroTINK.
Personally I think there is a huge difference. But on the other hand there is also a huge difference with the price tag (which is understandable).

Regards!

P

Hmm that distortion on the RetroTINK is a bit disappointing. I don't see that on a CRT TV.

Sho

Hmm, I don't have an original Famicom, but I do have an RGB modded AV Famicom and a stock AV Famicom if you would like to see some comparisons via the TINK 5X Pro.

Sho

Actually went ahead and did it anyways since I found the thread so interesting.

Composite Video

RGB Video

c0op3r

It is an interesting thread - I can not do it as I had my AV Famicom modded right away as it was the only way I could get video into something - I dont have anything that accepts Composite.

I can say I am real happy with the RGB/SCART to OSSC output.  I have a RetroTink 5x on the way so will be interesting to see if I can see anything different.

Sho

Quote from: c0op3r on August 01, 2021, 10:06:05 amIt is an interesting thread - I can not do it as I had my AV Famicom modded right away as it was the only way I could get video into something - I dont have anything that accepts Composite.

I can say I am real happy with the RGB/SCART to OSSC output.  I have a RetroTink 5x on the way so will be interesting to see if I can see anything different.

I think you'll really like the RetroTINK 5X Pro as it has caught up to the OSSC as far as phase and much of it's functionality.  I wasn't a fan of dialing in settings on the OSSC myself so it was an easy purchase for me.  You turn on the game and set the settings for your console and you're pretty much off to the races!

P

I was wrong about RetroTINK, it seems it does interprets composite artifacts correctly. ;D I guess the fine font in this game is prone to some distortion in NTSC.

You cannot see attachments on this board.
This picture is taken on a CRT with a 600 TVL (which is a semi-high CRT resolution). TVL is basically a CRT TV's horizontal resolution ability (since a CRT doesn't have pixels).