Trying to an obscure Mario clone

Started by 66lesny66, October 20, 2020, 10:54:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

66lesny66

I played it in Poland in mid 90s. The game was in Japanese. It was much like the early Mario games with level selection like in Super Mario 3. The graphics style was also similar, but I remember that it was bleaker, slightly darker and the main character was a bit smaller in comparison to the environment.

I can't remember many details since I was a child back then, but there's one thing that I can remember vividly : after finishing some levels the main character would go to a sushi bar, where everything was dark and the bartender looked like a goat-man(?). There was some dialogue  but it was all in Japanese, however, I am absolutely sure that it was a sushi bar, because there was an inscription on it, and for some reason it wasn't in Japanese.

adori_12

I think the game you're looking for is Super Mario Bros IV Armadillo, basically an Armadillo hack with Mario as the main character. It doesn't 100% match your description but it's fairly close so it might be it.
De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

adori_12

Oh, it's Game Dave! I don't watch his videos very often but I do like his content. I had no idea he made a video about Armadillo, I'll watch it.
De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

FAMICOM_87

Quote from: adori_12 on October 20, 2020, 01:27:43 pmOh, it's Game Dave! I don't watch his videos very often but I do like his content. I had no idea he made a video about Armadillo, I'll watch it.

I found him resently, he have very nice videos :). Also I have this game too original famicom cartrage, but it is very hard, I can not beat even the first world :(

adori_12

Cool! I want my own copy of the game, it looks like a fun little game, such a shame it never left Japan.

And by the way, Happy Birthday man!  :)

FAMICOM_87

Quote from: adori_12 on October 20, 2020, 07:34:19 pmCool! I want my own copy of the game, it looks like a fun little game, such a shame it never left Japan.

And by the way, Happy Birthday man!  :)

Hey thanks! :)
BTW the game looks and sounds good and fun, but the controles and game play are disastr, just watch the review and try it on emulator, and you will see.