September 28, 2021, 12:03:32 pm

Help with a DK arcade machine.

Started by MustardBubbles, November 08, 2020, 05:14:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MustardBubbles

I've recently purchased a Donkey Kong cocktail arcade machine. It's all original parts (to my knowledge) and in acceptable condition, especially for being nearly 40 years old. Everything works on it 99% of the time, accept if it's on too long or gets too warm, some graphical corruptions occur. I'm looking to see if anyone knows anything about arcade machine restoration on this forum.
To be concise, I'm looking for a restoration cost appraisal and trustworthy contractor to fix up the unit. (local or out of state, so long as they're good.)
I know it's a long shot, but if anyone has any knowledge that could help me out, please let me know!
I can post pictures of the unit if needed.
(I'm aware of the KLOV forums, but their user registration process is a bit obtuse. Unless there is someone on this forum that can recommend me to a moderator over there.)

tombo72

Sounds basic, but, find the hot chip on the PCB and shoot some canned air on it upside down to cool it off. If that fixes it, replace that chip.

I am actually the admin of KLOV :) The $2 paypal thing is to keep scammers away. We just upgraded to Xenforo so I can't easily approve your account. The site owner manually does it until the upgrade script is working.

Tom
Reproduction FDS labels and disk cards | 3D printed Famicom parts | Custom Famicom labels | Tyvek disk sleeves | and More! https://www.nerdspaceship.com/famicom/

MustardBubbles

Do I need to register an arcade-museum.com account before being allowed forum access?
If yes, would you be willing to pass along my account to have it approved if I provided you the details?

I'd really appreciate it, even if it takes time to do so.

tombo72

Quote from: MustardBubbles on November 10, 2020, 08:53:46 amDo I need to register an arcade-museum.com account before being allowed forum access?
If yes, would you be willing to pass along my account to have it approved if I provided you the details?

I'd really appreciate it, even if it takes time to do so.

Yes. There are several databases that are connected to the IAM account which is why you reg there. I will message the site owner and inquire about the upgrade script. The move to Xenforo was huge so a lot of the small mods we had before with vBull are not working yet.
Reproduction FDS labels and disk cards | 3D printed Famicom parts | Custom Famicom labels | Tyvek disk sleeves | and More! https://www.nerdspaceship.com/famicom/

MustardBubbles

If you wouldn't mind, could you let me know when a good time to make my profile and validate should be? It sounds like everything is a nightmare over at KLOV right now.

Should I hold off on posting any pictures until I have a profile on KLOV, or might you be interested in seeing the unit for yourself? I'd really appreciate any input from you regarding potential repairs or technical issues.

tombo72

I would seriopusly start with the air in a can upside down trick to cool the chip. You can feel it to see if it is unusually warm, zap it with some canned air liquid and the problem *should* go away until it heats up again.

I emailed the site owner and asked about the upgrade script for admin use - he hasnt gotten back to me yet. He has a lot of irons in the fire.

tom

MustardBubbles

I attempted to clean the PCB with canned air, but to no avail.

The colors to the monitor have become oversaturated and dimmed substantially over time. Otherwise the unit appears to still function as normal, with the exception of the occasional minor graphical corruption when it's been powered on too long.

I'm curious to the status of KLOV. Is the sight registration system still under maintenance?

tombo72

Quote from: MustardBubbles on December 05, 2020, 12:05:46 amI attempted to clean the PCB with canned air, but to no avail.

The colors to the monitor have become oversaturated and dimmed substantially over time. Otherwise the unit appears to still function as normal, with the exception of the occasional minor graphical corruption when it's been powered on too long.

I'm curious to the status of KLOV. Is the sight registration system still under maintenance?

Not clean. Use the air upside down on the chip that gets hot to see if the problem abates. I havent heard back from the site owner in quite a while. I have a few issues I need help with there. Its actually not down; you can still send the $2 - the "friends and family" upgrade script for an existing user, doesn't function yet