Game List Error...

Started by Dr. Morbis, November 14, 2020, 10:24:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Morbis

Is anyone still maintaining the game list?  If so, Irem has a small issue.  There are 28 Irem games (IF-01 to IF-29, not counting unreleased IF-19).  You have 28 Irem games listed, but one game is listed twice: "Nishimura Kyoutarou Mystery: Super Express Satsujin Jiken" is listed once, and then a second time as just "Super Express Satsujin Jiken (?)" If you delete that erroneous entry, Irem will only have 27 games listed in your database, but that's because IF-27 "Ai Sensei no O-Shi-E-Te: Watashi no Hoshi" is listed as having no publisher.

Could someone please delete the extra Super Express entry and add Irem as the publisher for Miss Ai's IF-27?  Thanks.
I didn't die - my man was stolen...

UglyJoe

I still maintain it!

Your info checks out, so I made the following changes:

- Changed Ai Sensei no O-Shi-E-Te: Watashi no Hoshi to be IF-27 and published by Irem
- Deleted extra Super Express Satsujin Jiken entry
- Changed Nishimura Kyoutarou Mystery: Super Express Satsujin Jiken to be IF-17 (and also TIX-Z4)
- Swapped Shinsenden's ID values so that IF-16 comes before TIX-Z3
- Removed IF-26 ID from Taiyou no Shinden: Aztec 2

Thanks for letting us know!

Dr. Morbis

Cool, thanks.  Next one is you have a game listed as "Safety Rally" with no publisher.  I'm assuming you mean "Yasuda Fire & Marine Safety Rally."  It was published by Sanrio and has copyright dates on the front of the cart of 1985 and 1989.  When you beat the game, the last screen says "© 1989 Sanrio Co., Ltd."  Can you change the title of this game to its full proper name and list its publisher as Sanrio and its release as 1989 (I don't know the exact date, but a year is better than nothing)?

UglyJoe

I think the name of the game is actually "Safety Rally", based upon:
- This is what is on the title screen
- The (rare) blue case for the game mentions "Safety Rally" first, and then mentions Yasuda Fire & Marine off to the side
- Japanese wikis, blogs, and stores (including Super Potato) call it Safety Rally

So, I am keeping the name as-is, but will correct the aka title to say Yasuda instead of Yasusa.

I have also added a copyright date of 1989 and Sanrio as a publisher (although part of me wonders if Sanrio actually developed/published the game, or if the copyright was just around some possible Sanrio characters used in the game).

c0op3r

Where is the game list - never mind I found it.  :o

Dr. Morbis

Quote from: UglyJoe on November 15, 2020, 03:46:51 pmI have also added a copyright date of 1989 and Sanrio as a publisher (although part of me wonders if Sanrio actually developed/published the game, or if the copyright was just around some possible Sanrio characters used in the game).
I'm guessing the 1985 part of the dual year copyright is to denote the copyright year of the character(s) in the game.

I could only find one more game in the database with no publisher listed: Shoukoushi Ceddie, but it is actually the same game that you already have listed as: Saikoushi Sedi (?), wich can also be romanized as: Shoukoushi Seoli.  However you want to Romanize it, the code is FMI-CD, the release date is December 24, 1988, and the publisher is FCI AKA Fujisankei Communications International AKA Fuji Television, depending on how you want to list it.  So if you could get that title fixed up, every single game in the database would be attributed to a publisher, which just so happens to be the way I collect for Famicom :)

UglyJoe

Checks out.

Added publisher and release date to Shoukoushi Ceddie.  Removed Saikoushi Sedi (?).

Thanks again!

Dr. Morbis

I found another issue with the database while going through my Namco games. Kaijuu monogatari is listed properly, but then there is a weird listing called "Shell Saurs Story" that has the exact same release date, and when you click on it for more info, it says "Kaiju Monogatari (aka)" at the bottom under "Other Titles."  I believe this to be a duplicate listing that needs to be removed from the database...

UglyJoe

Yeah, you're right again ;D

"Shell Saurs Story" should just be an aka of Kaijuu Monogatari and not be its own game page.  I have made this change.

The "Shell Saurs Story" title appears on the bottom of the box art in English, so sometimes it will (incorrectly) go by that name.

Dr. Morbis

I've got one more for you.  I was looking through my CBS games to match them up with the list to see what I was still missing, and I couldn't find Flying Hero... until I double-checked the code (ESF-FZ) which is oddly listed as "Fraing Hero" in the database.  I don't know how that happened or how long it's been listed that way, but any chance you could fix the title to read "Flying Hero"?  I don't know what the heck a "fraing" hero is, heh :)

UglyJoe

We actually had two entries "Flying" and "Fraing".  I merged the two together.  I'm guessing "Fraing" was just a mistranslation of the katakana フライング that appears on the game's various artwork.

Dr. Morbis

Okay, I spent a lot of time cataloging my Famicom games in the last month, and since I file my games strictly by publisher, I've discovered a number of publisher issues in the database.  If you could take a look at these and make changes where necessary, that would be super :)

-Ballblazer: publisher is Pony Canyon, not Activision
-Might & Magic: publisher is Gakken, not American Sammy
-Best Play Baseball Special, The: listed twice (HSP-11, 07/15/1988) also as Best Play Pro Yakyuu
-Joust: publisher is HAL, not Atari
-Star Gate: publisher is HAL, not Atari
-All games listed as published by Coconuts: publisher is C-Dream (developer is Coconuts)
-TM Network: Live at the Powerbowl: code should be ESF-T9
-Famicom Meijin Sen: publisher is SNK, not CNK
-Taito Basketball: publisher is Taito, not Disco
-Jumbo Ozaki Golf: listed twice (HAL-JO, 02/01/1988) HAL is publisher, delete K. Amusement listing
-Business Wars: code should be HCT-78
-Emo Yan no 10 Bai Pro Yakyuu: code should be HCT-IB
-Deep Dungeon III: publisher is Square, not Humming Bird Soft
-Deja Vu: publisher is Kemco, not Icom Simulations
-Ikari: publisher is K. Amusement, not SNK
-Ikari III: publisher is K. Amusement, not SNK
-Ninja Cop Saizou: publisher is Kyugo, not Taito
-Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back: publisher is Victor Musical, not Lucasfilm
-Katsuba Densetsu: listed twice (NBF-R7, 04/20/1990) also as Kurogane Hiroshi no Yosou Daisuki!
-Space Harrier: publisher is Takara, not Sega
-Wing of Madoola: publisher is Sunsoft, not Sun Electronic
-Shi-Kin-Jou: publisher should say "Toei Animation" to be uniform with all other Toei releases
-Sakigake!! Otoko Juku: publisher is Bandai, not Toei Animation
-Zoids 2: publisher is Toemiland, not Toshiba EMI
-Magnum Kikiippatsu: Empire City 1931: publisher is Toemiland, not Toshiba EMI
-SD Gundam Gachapon Senshi 4: New Type Story: publisher is Yutaka, not Bandai
-SD Gundam Gachapon Senshi 2: Capsule Senki: publisher is Shinsei, not Bandai
-Ultraman Club 3: Matamata Shutsugeki!: publisher is Yutaka, not Bandai
-Saint Seiya: Ougon Densetsu Kanketsu-hen: publisher is Shinsei, not Toei Animation

I know that's a lot of work, but our goal is to have the database be as accurate as possible, and so that's why I spent all the time to type this stuff out... :)

UglyJoe

Quote from: Dr. Morbis on April 11, 2022, 08:27:25 pmIf you could take a look at these and make changes where necessary, that would be super :)

Thanks for letting me know!

I've been pretty busy lately and haven't had a chance to verify your corrections and update the database, but I wanted to reply to let you know I see them and will get the database updated when I get a chance.

UglyJoe

Went through and made most of your suggested changes.  Still doing a bit more research for some of them.  Specifically:

- Coconuts vs C-Dream  -- I am inclined to agree that the publisher is C-Dream, but I want to check on all of the Coconuts games to see if they mention it.  I do not agree that Coconuts is the developer in all cases, as GDRI has Marionette as the developer for many of their FC games.
- Disco -- it seems that Disco is some entity related to Taito; they are mentioned on the Taito Basketball cartridge and others (in katakana).  Going to do some more digging on this one.
- Toemiland vs Toshiba EMI -- seems that Toemiland was some entity beneath Toshiba EMI.  I'm going to look up all of the Toshiba EMI and Toemiland games and see how many reference Toemiland.  If I can consider them a single entity then I'm just going to go with Toshiba EMI.

Thanks again for all your hard work!

Dr. Morbis

Quote from: UglyJoe on May 22, 2022, 08:11:44 pmWent through and made most of your suggested changes.  Still doing a bit more research for some of them.  Specifically:

- Coconuts vs C-Dream  -- I am inclined to agree that the publisher is C-Dream, but I want to check on all of the Coconuts games to see if they mention it.  I do not agree that Coconuts is the developer in all cases, as GDRI has Marionette as the developer for many of their FC games.
- Disco -- it seems that Disco is some entity related to Taito; they are mentioned on the Taito Basketball cartridge and others (in katakana).  Going to do some more digging on this one.
- Toemiland vs Toshiba EMI -- seems that Toemiland was some entity beneath Toshiba EMI.  I'm going to look up all of the Toshiba EMI and Toemiland games and see how many reference Toemiland.  If I can consider them a single entity then I'm just going to go with Toshiba EMI.

Thanks again for all your hard work!

Thanks for the update!  I'm glad you were able to find time to work on all of that.

And just so you know, I was going purely based on the cartridges and boxes for all of my info, not the internet or youtube or anything like that.  So if the cartridge/box had two or more companies copyrighted on the label, but the game's code and/or the label layout and/or the cartrige/box design itself matched a particular publisher, then I was inclined to believe that that particular publisher did in fact publish the game.  Some titles were easy, like the Bandai ones: it's kind of hard to confuse a bandai cartridge with anything else, but of course some titles are a little more tricky.  But I have faith that you'll get to the truth for the ones you have left.

Thanks again :)