Just bought a brand new FDS

Started by Salduchi, April 22, 2021, 10:33:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

P

Yeah the 3 main things that can be adjusted are supposedly the spindle hub alignment, the head adjustment and the drive speed adjustment. The first two are the two that most commonly needs to be adjusted. But some say that the head shouldn't be touched, and that it generally only must be adjusted if someone before you messed with it. The screw should have some glue on it to prevent it from moving, and if the glue is still there it probably doesn't need to be adjusted. I hope someone could give some clarity to it.
If the head really needs to be adjusted, the FDSStick can be used.

Motor speed seems to be the least important to adjust. I guess since the drive is new, spindle hub alignment is the only thing you need to do after replacing the belt.

Sho

Quote from: Salduchi on April 23, 2021, 04:02:32 pm
Quote from: Sho on April 23, 2021, 03:10:11 pmThose blemishes are indicative of a console that has been in storage and knocked around a bit over the years.

The belt could still be shot though.  New or not. 😨😂

Even in the box? All the paper work has matching serial numbers and all. The box looks almost perfect. I wonder if maybe they are styrofoam marks pressing on the casing through the plastic bag it was in

Oh man, hell of a late post but yeah, even new in box the belt will MORE LIKELY THAN NOT be donezo.  It's really unfortunate, but they are very susceptible to heat, and you can imagine months and months worth of storage heat wrecking the belt, and making it brittle, while everything else stays intact.

P

BTW I dug up my old Disk System and played a few of my disks. Every game still works flawlessly, even in this heat. I think I had it for close to 10 years since the belt was replaced.

Sho

Quote from: P on July 14, 2021, 03:00:31 pmBTW I dug up my old Disk System and played a few of my disks. Every game still works flawlessly, even in this heat. I think I had it for close to 10 years since the belt was replaced.

This is awesome news!  That means the belts will go on for a good long time!  ;D

Saab93

Probably sometime next week, I'll replace my Disk System's belt.