Famicom Gun not working with American gun games

Started by DarthStaalwart, July 01, 2021, 12:24:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DarthStaalwart

Hello everyone! If I use a NES light gun game in a Famicom, will it still expect light gun input from Controller Port 2 - as in a NES - and not read anything plugged into the Famicom's frontal expansion port? I want to discard that my Famicom Gun (both it and the Famicom console are original ones, not clones) is broken. I tried to play NES' Duck Hunt with a 72-to-60 pin converter, and the game doesn't even flicker when I pull the trigger.

P

As far as light-guns and NES Vaus paddles are concerned the Famicom expansion port and the NES controller 2 port is the same thing. The pins the light-gun uses in the expansion port are available in the second controller port on a NES, but not in an AV Famicom (though this can be fixed).

There is no technical difference between the Famicom Gun and the NES Zapper, but to use the Zapper on a Famicom you need to make an adapter to connect it to the expansion port (unless you have an AV Famicom with the above fix).
This adapter also allows you to use NES controllers as expansion port controllers and some peripherals like the NES Vaus paddle on your Famicom. You can't use a standard DA-15 female plug though, you need the female end of a Neo Geo controller extension cord.

DarthStaalwart

Quote from: P on July 02, 2021, 08:29:28 amAs far as light-guns and NES Vaus paddles are concerned the Famicom expansion port and the NES controller 2 port is the same thing.

That means that, if using a Japanese Famicom Gun (NOT a NES Zapper, I'm using an original Japanese one, the one realistically shaped like a Colt Single Action revolver) in an original, unmodded (and also Japanese) Famicom console, but I plug in an American NES light gun game (Duck Hunt in my case) with a cartridge converter, the American game should register the shots from my gun, even if said gun is plugged in the Expansion port?

P

Yes it should. There is no difference at all between the Japanese and NA versions of the game, and as I said the Famicom Gun and the NES Zapper are also identical except for looks and mechanics (the Famicom Gun has a hammer and the Zapper has a spring-thing in the trigger).